Yet another new guy!

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Smillard

Yet another new guy!

Post by Smillard »

Hi all,

Another new guy attempting a build but falling down!

After a few cardboard designs (and 2 polycarb bases) i finally have a driveable bot. The next step is the flipper and ive come up against a brick wall i just cant get over!

When i power on, the servo moves. (Video link below)
Ive tried lot of things ive read online like binding with the stick in different positions and i cant get it to not move. Is it even possible? Do i just have to work round this?

https://youtu.be/gaKrifVIJIg

Any help or advice would be apreciated as im making this up as i go along!

Regards
Simon
Dazmund

Re: Yet another new guy!

Post by Dazmund »

So it moves up when you switch it on? First off, check if the channel it's connected to is set to zero. For instance, mine is connected to the throttle as I'm using the NanoTwo, and the left stick is all the way down. If it is, you have to unscrew the plastic horn from the servo and then position it to the lower angle you want. I myself am a noob and just found that out.
DAZ DUZ BOTZ

Fili-PA (wedge flipper)
Watta Doze (tank tracked pusher)
Wolfhead (front wheel drive flipper)
2-2 Liftman (fork lifter)
The Ting Goes Grrrab (grabber/control)
Smillard

Post by Smillard »

Im using the nanotwo too. My left stick is spring loaded so auto centres.

Do you think thats the problem? The 0 on my stick is 50% for the servo?!
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

well, I'm a noob with a different servo, different esc, and a different tx/rc. plus i don't know why it moves, so I'm unlikely to shed any light.. :P

my servo moves twice; once on powering up, to a random anticlockwise position, then again when the tx is turned on, to a set position. it's always the same position, which matches the tx settings.

i do worry that the slight random movement will cause an issue, but i haven't got as far as attaching it yet, so can't really say.
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

voorsk wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:49 pm my servo moves twice; once on powering up, to a random anticlockwise position, then again when the tx is turned on, to a set position. it's always the same position, which matches the tx settings.
Always power the transmitter on first! If you don't the receiver only receives noise and any random signals that are floating around. It might manage to make some "sense" out of the mess and move the servo, motors or anything else to any random position.
This isn't so much of an issue with a 150g robot, but if you ever move onto anything larger you really do want to make sure it's under your control at all times!

If the transmitter is powered on first then when the robot is switched on the servo should go to wherever the transmitter is telling it to. If the stick is centred the servo will go to mid-travel, if the stick is at one end then the servo will go fully clockwise or anticlockwise.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Dazmund

Post by Dazmund »

Smillard wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:26 pm Do you think thats the problem? The 0 on my stick is 50% for the servo?!
Exactly. Also, BeligerAnt is right about turning on the transmitter on before the robot is switched on/plugged in, hence the sudden servo movement.

By the way, when I mentioned the left stick being all the way to 0, I meant -100%. My Devo 7e's left throttle stick is not spring loaded into getting centred up, so that's my only point of reference.
DAZ DUZ BOTZ

Fili-PA (wedge flipper)
Watta Doze (tank tracked pusher)
Wolfhead (front wheel drive flipper)
2-2 Liftman (fork lifter)
The Ting Goes Grrrab (grabber/control)
Smillard

Post by Smillard »

Thanks guys, all makes sense!

I have read a couple of guides online witj regard to removing the spring from the left stick. That should cure my problem and give a better rage of movement in the servo. From -100% to +100%
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

Thanks from me, also. For some reason, I never thought to turn the transmitter on first. d'oh! :oops:
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
Smillard

Post by Smillard »

so time for my second round of questioning! im now about 75% through my build. i have actually made something that drives (the driver needs more practice!), flips and self rights

the next thing im looking at is the speed of my flipper. i have the 306g-HV servo (link further down) and the Nano2

the stats for the servo are:
Operating Voltage: 4.8V / 6V / 7.2V
Operating Speed: 0.07sec.60º/ 0.06sec.60º/ 0.05sec.60º

i understand the Nano2 is 5v at the servo plug, so can i cut the live to the servo and splice into the power before the nano2 giving me 7.2v plus the added speed?

(https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigytm-t ... tore=en_us)

i might have this wrong and explained it really badly but any help appreciated!!
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Yep, you've got that exactly right, disconnect the red wire from the servo plug and attach it to the red wire going into the NanoTwo from the battery. You'll get a much better flip that way.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker