Argh, need help.

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Derek Dudge

Argh, need help.

Post by Derek Dudge »

I appear to have damaged my ESC. I have no idea what I did wrong, it was fine yesterday and working all the motors right. Today it is screwed. I don't think I did anything that would short it out or anything, the blue wires are soldered onto motors and not touching each other. I have no idea. Perhaps I've accidentally touched something together somehow. I really don't know. I am looking at all the connections I've soldered and nothing seems like it could touch anything else.

But now one side of drive wasn't working and i got a burning smell.

Took the heatshrink off the ESC and one chip is clearly the offender. It looks damaged and gets very hot as soon as the esc is connected to battery. Dunno if its worth mentioning but the other side of drive works. I unplugged it pretty quick though because it really got hot quickly

I attached a pic.

Gotta say I'm pretty gutted about it. Was really looking forward to trying the robot out at ant freeze. I have suspicion that there will be nothing can be done to fix it before then but I gotta ask. Sigh.
I don't even know how I damaged it.

Last edited by Derek Dudge on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
Rapidrory

Re: Argh, need help.

Post by Rapidrory »

That looks like a short on the motor side somehow. Its an easy fix. Bring it to Antfreeze and i'll lend you one for the day while I repair yours, though I may be able to swap the chip out before the event starts. I'll be the one with too many robots and an orange furry waistcoat :P
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Wow, cheers Rory. I'm glad it's fixable. Just had one of those heavy guts, oh sausage, moments.
My robots:

Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Welllll, in huge relief at Rory telling me that, shall I turn it into something amusing then.

So not only will I have not driven this robot to practice, I've never have practised driving any robot. Heh. I had a couple rc cars as a kid, but it would be a lie to say I was good with them.

This should be interesting :D trial by fire it is then. See one of you chumps in the final yeah? 😂😂

Odds on me winning Ant Freeze - better or worse than Leicester city winning the league?
My robots: