A hello and a Fail log of my attempts

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

WIAR

A hello and a Fail log of my attempts

Post by WIAR »

Hey guys, my name is Alfie. Ive been lurking here for a good few months now and finally have the pieces together to build my own bot. Now i am as nooby at this as noobs go. Ive go no experience with with RC cars. Hardly any experience in soldering. No experience with any of this what so ever honestly. Which is why ive spent my time sponging information from others.

The name ive gone for the team is WIAR (What is a robot) as i keep thinking it sarcastically whenever i see some pretty interesting bots.

My first attempt is going to be a 2wd push bot called magnitude 1. I know it wont be competitive - if i can actually get it to work. But i will build upon it and create something stronger, hence the name. Im using a dasmikro esc, lemon rx, devo 7x, and 30:1 motors and wheels from shakeys website (lovely site btw).

So far i have soldered most of the esc wires up. I havent tested it and it looks shocking. Honestly, nsfl if you do this kinda stuff all the time. Its gorey. https://i.imgur.com/2PAbpZX.jpg

If it doesnt work or ive somehow melted the damn thing thats fime, ill get another and re-attempt it. If that breaks. Well, ill just buy the nanotwo esc when theyre available :P
What is a robot?
Currently building first bot - Magnitude 1 (its gunna be rubbish)
Paulmchurd

Re: A hello and a Fail log of my attempts

Post by Paulmchurd »

I think it’s pretty hard to burn out the board soldering. What’s more likely is your red and yellow wire are touching slightly and it will stop it from working.

From never soldering before to doing a little dasmikro. Is a big jump. Not a bad effort.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Perhaps you could try stripping less insulation, it leaves a lot of room for short circuits.

Or alternatively, use solid core wire - although that is susceptible to fatigue.

The Dasmikro doesn't have holes, it makes the connections mechanically weak; I wish they'd make the board 1mm bigger and put holes in.

Mark
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
WIAR

Post by WIAR »

Good news! It actually turned on.

I twist connected the motors and switch to the wires as was not confident that i had them the right way. Charged my battery up and switched it on. THE BAD BOY ACTUALLY LIT UP. I managed to pair it to my devo and everything went well! until the motors didnt move. I suspect i either have the connections wrong or my botched soldering isnt actually connecting the wired to the board. I will experiment a bit and get back to this. Next time i post will have something moving 💪
What is a robot?
Currently building first bot - Magnitude 1 (its gunna be rubbish)