Noob bot: Unmitigated Disaster

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MarkR

Noob bot: Unmitigated Disaster

Post by MarkR »

I've decided to call this Unmitigated Disaster, because it seems I've got everything almost all wrong already.

Although it fits in the 4" cube and doesn't weigh much (yet) (most of the gubbins is missing yet), it's still wrong already.

There is a serious balance problem, it's not going to be able to drive without doing a permanent wheelie.

Still had fun 3d printing. Will need to do a significant redesign.
Attachments
unmitigated1.PNG
unmitigated1.PNG (26.63 KiB) Viewed 5315 times
unmitigated2.jpg
unmitigated2.jpg (193.14 KiB) Viewed 5315 times
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Derek Dudge

Re: Noob bot: Unmitigated Disaster

Post by Derek Dudge »

It's a good name. I like it. One of my ideas for my robots name was going to be "Close Enough" as s tribute to my building methods, but decided to go with the more serious name.

My being unsure about wheel placement and balance and stuff was part of the reason I went 4wd tbh. It seemed easier to design. Mainly because it's just a box on wheels 😂 Next time I will do 2wd and a proper weapon.

For your guy, is there any hope that when the rest of the internals are in they will balance the weight better? Could it be redesigned so there's more armour weight further forward? Or a stabiliser tail like some of the heavyweight axe/hammer bots use?
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
InternalCakeEngine

Post by InternalCakeEngine »

Does it matter if it wheelies? The case will stop it going all the way over and is pretty low friction so won't slow it much.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

what about the fact that the front edge, the one needed to get under other robots, will be up in the air.
so wheeling dose matter.
i had this problem on smartAnt 5, so i put metal wights at the front of the robot to stop it tipping up.
Team RobotMad, home of the Smart robots, and very mean pots :)
Chris and Lincoln Barnes
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Main problem I can see would be if you're wheeling then everything will easily get underneath the front end to push/flip you. With the wedge shaped you want the front end hugging the ground.
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Yes wheelie is a big problem, I will add weight to the front and/or add a small tail piece to try to hold the nose down.

I expect I'll get it right in the end, I've only 3d-printed about 4 different versions of the shell so far :)

I could put more of the gubbins in the front end but I'm worried that it will be vulnerable to damage.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands