Team BLEEP build diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

DieGracefullyRobotics

Re: Antescher Assault Systems build diary

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics »

It's an impressive curve. Curves are hard! Especially with the 4" cube rule.

I really hope you are at least getting a small sense of pride from your builds. They are great - different and full of personality.
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

That curve looks really good! Quite a unique design.
Thomas - Approximation Robotics AKA "the one that does the mechanums"

Ants:
PLA-ST Is a Perfectly Legitimate Choice of Material
Percussive Maintenance 4: A New Spinner
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

I didn't cut it out very well, so it's a bit iffy (first time using anti-clockwise tin snips). Can't tell from looking at it, tho. :)

I'm currently redesigning Suspicious Houmous instead of doing work. :roll: It's all going well, but I've got a question for more learned roboteers:
  • For the 4" box rule, could the bot be considered to fit if its spikes are pointing diagonally?
The main body easily fits on the bottom of the box, and with 85mm spikes pointing forward, it fits diagonally, but if it sits on the bottom and angles the spikes into the corner then they can be an extra 20mm long. I think it's allowed, as they're moved mechanically, but I thought I'd better check.

I guess it'd have to start every match with the spikes pointing skyward, but that's no bad thing because it'd look awesome as a result. 8) . I'm quite looking forward to finding out what kind of gymnastics it can get up to, too..
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
DieGracefullyRobotics

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics »

Yup, you are correct, it's absolutely fine as long as the spikes start in the position they fit in the cube in.
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

Cool - thanks, Dave!

*goes back to skiving*
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
tomchaps

Post by tomchaps »

By the way, a while back you lamented the lack of cheap Chinese wheels. I've been using these, and they're fine:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-l ... 2769037524

And for the orange wheels:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Smart-C ... 4c4dmPWoTK
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

T_Y wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:45 am That curve looks really good! Quite a unique design.
Yeah.. there might be a reason for that - it doesn't leave much usable space when it's all curves and angles! :P

Last night I attached the front flipper and the servo, but there was so little room left after adding the battery that the servo arm could barely move. :(

I refuse to give up on the melon, but I also refuse to make it a rear flipper, even though that would work. No, I have a new plan, and the more I think about it, the more the plan feels right..

Plan D.2[s4] is HAMMER TIME! :D

I'm thinking the hammer should sit right at the top, with the front of the bot now being the rind. I'm sure that if a slice of melon got angry, it would face it's enemies with the toughest bit first, eh? :P

Thanks for the wheel advice. Interesting to see the orange wheels in a narrower form. My problem wasn't the wheels, tho - it was the D-shaped axles for them to fit onto, which I've now sorted.
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

I've spent a few evenings rebuilding Suspicious Houmous from the ground up. It's not much different to the old one, but it's a little bit more accurately built.

Due to a bit of an 'it'll do' approach to measuring the length of the polycarb, it's wound up 5mm shorter, and the way i attached the tabs for the sides means that the blades are now further back than before. This has caused a bit of a space issue inside, and now I can't get the Vex29 to fit anywhere. :P I'm sure there must be a way of doing it.. its so close to fitting!

The other shape in that photo is my newest attempt at Fermented Melon. The shape's good, but I made it out of aluminium, which makes it too heavy and won't leave much weight for the axe. It needs to be a glass hammer, but having the axe arm at the top might make it a bit unbalanced.. I guess I just need to make it out of thin polycarb and see what happens!

But first I must complete Suspicious Houmous, or else I'll have nothing for AWS! :o (altho I could remove the third motor and enter it as a pusher)

edit: before anyone asks, yes I have removed the casing from the Vex 29.

edit 2 (19th Jun): It fits! It just needed a fresh(ish) brain and bit more component tetris.
The next worry is weight! With the film still on the polycarb, no brace bar across the lifters, and 12 missing M3 bolts, it's 148g. :-? I might have to use thinner polycarb on top, and bolt some armour on the weakened front. Or just drill random holes in everything.
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Not sure if you've already considered these weight saving options, but it looks like you're planning on using 4 bolts to hold on each lifter, which would be overkill, so you could save weight by only using 2 per side there.
Also it looks like you're using my favourite technique of holding the bot together with standoff posts, I can't see which ones, but if they're brass or steel you can save plenty of weight by switching to aluminium or nylon.

Look forward to seeing these next week!
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

Fear not! I initially thought I'd need four bolts, but after messing up the drilling, I realised two were enough. Also, yus - I am using aluminium standoffs. I pinched that idea from you, to be honest. :D

Last night, I attached all the electrickery. It's got a NanoTwo V3 connected to two 50:1 motors from HobbyKing (so I doubt they're Pololulu), a Vex 29, and a 259:1 motor. I upgraded my Devo 7E and bound it, and turned it all on, aaand.. it works! :D

Sort of.

It drives, and that's good, but the arms are powered by the.. er.. left-hand uppy downy control (elevon?). It's just about usable, but it requires -100 when the TX is turned on, and it failsafes to -100, both of which cause the arms to rotate and throw the robot about. :P I'll have to alter a few settings somewhere, and find a screwdriver that fits the screws on the TX so that I can rearrange the springs.

Also, the bot is indeed overweight. Only 3 grammes, but it still needs sorting. I think the top armour has to be reduced to flimsy 1mm. Cruddy, but I might be able to add in some things that I've had to drop.

Can you even see the shape of the bot? :o

edit:
TX sorted! Didn't expect it to be so easy, tbh. Failsafe still needs fixing, tho - it's not meant to make the bot more dangerous!

Something's changed, though.. when I last used it, it was able to flip itself over and over (unintentionally - the failsafe caught me by surprise!), but this time the lifters ran out of oomph. It seems the previous acrobatics caused one of the gears to loosen up, so it just spins on the bar instead of rotating it. Hopefully some araldite will fix it in place.

oh, and after dismantling and reassembling the bot (to remove the protective film, and trim a few bits), I can no longer get the battery to fit properly. *sigh*