Newbie to Ant Weight Questions

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MrEnDo

Newbie to Ant Weight Questions

Post by MrEnDo »

Hello All,
I have been reading a lot of posts and doing a lot of research. I have few questions before I make the plunge.

I plan to use a Devo 7E as the transmitter... I have will number the questions, thanks for any help you can give.

1) Motors, I was looking on ebay and as per normal there is ton of them, can anyone recommend a good seller? I read about ratio's for the gearbox... But non of the ebay posts contain that information.

2) I plan on using this receiver https://www.banggood.com/REDCON-2_4G-6C ... rehouse=CN - I know this will work but can anyone recommend and better or smaller one.

3) Plan to use Das Mikro for the SC for the motors, but the servo for the flipper I was going to power separately using a voltage reg circuit and the wires from the receiver is this possible?

4) Wheres the best place for wheels / parts in the UK or China? Can't seem to find wheels anywhere.

5) Lastly can I confirm the UK weight is 150G and a cube of 4" cube?

I think that is all my questions for the moment...

Cheers for helping this noob out, I am sure I will be doing a build diary very soon.

Luke
Derek Dudge

Re: Newbie to Ant Weight Questions

Post by Derek Dudge »

Howdo

https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/30mm-toughhub-wheels/

These are the wheels I've ordered. Sadly the motors aren't in stock there but my research saw folks saying these wheels are good 👍

Motors, I just looked into for my own build, seems choice is 12-13 quid each from uk sites with one day deliver, (hobbytronics) or quite a bit cheaper but from Asian sellers that could take a lot longer to get to you. I got 30:1 ratio ones that i believe should be a good spot for antweights

Aye, on the cube and 150g.

I'll leave the receiver stuff to the more knowledged, I too am a newbie at this.
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

These are the wheels I used. You don’t have to buy the set. You can just buy the wheels. The geared motors are only 30rpm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N20-Micro-Me ... 2749.l2649
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

I bought motors from a few places, as I kept changing my mind about what I'd need (now I can try all sorts!). They all cost about a fiver, with various postage charges, and they're all UK suppliers coz I'm impatient. :P

I bought some 10:1 motors from hobbyking (was buying batteries, so figured I may as well).
I bought some 50:1 motors from pimoroni: https://shop.pimoroni.com/?q=micro%20me ... ar%20motor (they sell other types, too).
And I bought some 300rpm motors from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-3-6V-lt-30 ... 2392502017 (just in case the back shaft on the pimoroni motors cause layout issues).

I have no idea how well any of them work, as I'm still waiting for the ESC to arrive (plus I'm also a noob, so I have nothing to compare them to)
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
JeffSergeant

Post by JeffSergeant »

[The servo] I was going to power separately using a voltage reg circuit and the wires from the receiver is this possible?
If you mean, you VCC/+ and Ground/- for the servo will come from the voltage regulator, and only the Signal/PWM will come from the RX, this is perfectly possible; I've done the same myself! The only thing you need to make sure is that everything has a common ground/- . If you only have one battery then this will be the case.

5> Yes, 150g and it must fit within a cube of 4" x 4" x 4", a hint I read on here is to remember that you have to fit it inside the cube somehow, you don't have to be able to place the cube over the robot while it's sat on it's wheels! So, with diagonals your maximum side could be up to 5.66". (It wasn't immediately obvious to me)
MrEnDo

Post by MrEnDo »

Cheers for all the replies so far. Great community.

Yes exactly what I was planning Jeff, out of interest what voltage regulator did you use. I don't think the servo is fussed as long as it don't go over max voltage so was going to use a resistor in series to drop it down.

Don't get point 5 so the robot is measured before the wheels?
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

You can't just use a resistor to drop the voltage as it will vary with the current.
When the servo is stationary and drawing very little current the drop across the resistor will be very low so almost the full battery voltage will be across the servo.
You need an actual linear voltage reulator either 5v or 6v if the servo is rated at that or use a servo rated at 8.4 v which though more expensive are also more powerful.
The bit about the cube he is just pointing out that the robot can be placed in the cube diagonally as below.
MrEnDo

Post by MrEnDo »

Thanks Pete yep I agree it was a brain fart moment.

I get the cube thing now!

Do you guys use a lipo protection circuit when running lipo?
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

No just the lipo connected via a switch to the controller.
MrEnDo

Post by MrEnDo »

Oh interesting, I'm little surprised due to discharging the battery.

Last couple of questions

1) motor breaking worth it? I seen a few posts from a few members reference this or is it a trial error thing?

2) what guage wire are you all using? I was thinking 26awg

3) if I use a 12v motor how do I work out the RPM output? From running it at 7.2v.

Cheers all