Team Dudge build diaries.

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Derek Dudge

Re: First time building diary: Third Law

Post by Derek Dudge »

As promised, final update for this first project.

Third Law made it to Ant freeze 5. I owe the guys from teams Nuts and Shakey a beer one day for helping out by fixing my ESC, without those guys I wouldn't have been able to enter my bot. Got the deluxe pits treatments for an Antweight right there. He's a lucky little bot for a first time build.

The very first time he drove was his first match in the main competition. So, naturally I didn't get very far. But he got to play around some more in the break, and in the awesome nuts game and the huge rumble. It was a real fun day.

Damage wise he came out ok because he didn't have to fight the biggest scariest spinners 1 on 1. In the rumble I caught one decent hit from one of the spinners (think it might have been Tauron fellas Tim Ratchett spinner) and it chewed up a bolt head so the screwdriver doesn't fit in the grooves any more then took a little slice of paint job/plastic with it. Looks like the bolt took the brunt of the hit though. He's in one piece though and I can spend some time learning to control him better.

Linked are a couple of videos of him on the coffee table getting his disco mode on.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u8fCFGHTdS4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q9DhmQcLDA

I guess that's Third Law mk 1 project about finished. I now have an ant to practice driving with, yay it works haha. I'm pretty happy with him.

Aftermath assessment is - bad stuff - next one has to be a bit tighter, there was lots of "close enough" moments building him, and he could be a lot neater, particularly with the electronics. My weird sideways raised up motor mounts aren't really study enough. Between the fun at ant freeze and him driving off my coffee table a few times I managed to loosen one and had to refasten. The flat sides are obviously not an optimal design and my bolts are evidently gonna suffer from hits as they are.

Good stuff - it's got a good pushing power and a couple times at ant freeze I was able to push another bot head to head. And i think with a bit of practice it will actually steer pretty well. I like the speed and even just playing around for an hour when I got home I felt I was getting more nimble scooting around with him.

So, now I practice until I'm a decent driver lol, and go back to design pondering I guess. Do I do a different bot next, or do I try design Third Law mk 2? I am not sure yet. Lots to think about. That's for another thread in a little while now though.

Many many thanks again to the folks who helped me out along the way. Yayyy I did it, the robot worked! Heh.
Last edited by Derek Dudge on Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
JeffSergeant

Post by JeffSergeant »

Ooh that was you! Hello!

Looked like you had the controls nailed to me. Sequel should be Asimov's 3rd Law, it might do what it's told :)

Got it on video during the lunch-time pusher rumble,

https://youtu.be/3Rr73B80tk4

The blue LED also looks awesome
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Hey Jeff. Cheers for posting that. I actually managed to pit a bot in that clip haha.

Had a few ideas for the next project but not committing to any of them yet. I will do some scribbling in the meantime and think about it while waiting for things like the new nano controllers. I'm on holiday in march so won't be at the next ant event, so I got a while.
My robots:

Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

I've made a very similar robot. Have you come across a time when you have been flipped on your side? Do you get stuck?

I can't figure out a way to self right the robot if it lands on its side...
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

The only thing breaking up the flat side is a pair of unsunk bolt heads. I've tried rocking it onto its side a bunch of times. Usually it will rock straight over. A few times it did balance and get stuck.

Definitely a downside in the design but I doubt it could happen very often. Sod's law says it chooses the worst times though I'm sure :D
My robots:

Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

I was thinking some sort of side bolts at two differnt lengths would make it unbalanced enough it would rock over. The robot building ideas are endless...

Also could you link the leds and resistors you used? I’m interested in adding some on my robot aswell. I’d rather copy someone who has it working then buy things when I’m unsure.

Thanks
Paul
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong it's a weak factor is such a boxy design, but the bolts do seem to make a big difference that way. Of course it does mean the bolts aren't so protected.

Heres the resistors https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4W-0-25W-Met ... 3719182016

The leds https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Bright-L ... 7916800016

The tool for which resistor is needed for which leds (maybe you won't need this but I did lol) http://ledcalc.com

Hope that helps! All the best.
My robots:

Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Awesome!

Thanks
Derek Dudge

Re: Team Dudge build diaries.

Post by Derek Dudge »

Yayyy. New build project has officially begun!

Starting another thread seemed unnecessary so I changed this one to reflect it's not just for Third Law anymore.

Next up - working name of Big Choppa, an axe/hammer bot to turn solo robot into an actual team entry.

The body will be a mixture of different thicknesses of plastic this time, got some 1mm and 1.5 this time to try economise weight a bit better.

Drive will be nanotwo ESC and nuts and bolts wheels. Only 2wd this time. The axe will be gearmotor powered and a vex ESC.

I made a cardboard model. Few pictures attached including a couple next to Third Law for comparison.

I'm sticking with a similar design for armour mostly because it's easy to plan out, and also for a uniform look across the two bots. Just cause I'm a sucker for that stuff lol.

I've not figured out the weapon head yet. Gonna make a polycarbonate version of the chassis etc so I can work out exactly how much much weight is left etc.

Honestly, I don't expect it to be super high end competative, because it's highly likely the weapon will mostly be plastic too but it feels a nice next step up from Third Law in complexity etc and that seems as good a goal as any.

More updates soon hopefully.

My robots:

Derek Dudge

Re: Team Dudge build diaries.

Post by Derek Dudge »

Progress is a bit slow this month on account of holidays and such things. A bit of progress has been achieved through and the chassis and armour for axe bot is now done in polycarbonate.

Ohhh and new working name for the fella. Introducing Manticore hehe. Actually surprised a bit of searching didn't turn up any ants already called this what with it having Ant in there and all.

A couple pics below.

Next up is wait on payday haha, but after that next step is getting motors for drive and one for the axe, and to work out how exactly to mount the weapon etc. Will update again after any progress!

My robots: