"Flip-it” new build/project

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Paulmchurd

Re: "Flip-it” new build/project

Post by Paulmchurd »

Flip-It is finished!

Kind of..4 grams over... I’ll drill some holes to get it to weight if I enter any competitions.

Time to build a second robot for my school project. I need a second house robot.

News on the project.

I had a £300 budget and managed to buy enough electronics to build 6 robots!!!

It’s all in the post. Some from China to keep it in budget. I’ll take a picture with it all once it arrives.
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

6 competing robots for the club to build and a house robot ready? Sounds great. None of my old technologies teachers would have run a club like that. Give it a few years and you might be on robot wars with your students.
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

I think I’d need a 3-4 thousand pounds donation from a very generous parent for a heavy weight robot.

Maybe if I have a popular club with the government initiative on STEM subjects the school may give me a yearly budget.

I can dream can’t I?

Haha.

So next house robot have been drafted in paper. Plan for a scoop style flipper. Not the typical wedge style flipper.

This one will have UPGRADES! A nice powerful flipper hopefully. SG90 is a little weak.

voorsk

Post by voorsk »

I'm liking the look of that! Sounds a little pricier.. is it going to be a one-off house robot/ref bot for teacher to control? :)
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

It’s going to be a house robot like on the tv show. Basically it’s for me and another teacher to have a little fun of our own while the pupils are building their robots. Hehe

My plan was for each team to use my two house robots to battle each week. So everyone has something to do during the club.

Constructing, planning, watching past episodes of RW, reading the Hayens book and battle house robots. If they win a battle they will gain points for their team. Which will then seed them for the finals at the end of the term.

Chassis and holes drilled. Will use the bending machine at work tomorrow.

InternalCakeEngine

Post by InternalCakeEngine »

Hmm, shiny servo. Jealous. Looking forward to seeing how well it flips.
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Rear shell hopefully finished. It was designed so wheels could fit inside. I’ve been crafting these with hand tools only. So my precision cutting, Is normally a good few cm off. 🙈.

Need to cut a section out the middle to allow flipper. And add front scoop next.
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

And here it all is. Some of the parts from China only took 2weeks to arrive. Amazing

£300 bought:

12 x 10a ESC (decided on these as the students won’t have to do any soldering.
6 x Ni-mh battery
12 x wheels
12 x continuous servo (spinning weapon, bought these as a back up... in case of esc burn out or micro motor failure)
6 x servo (axe)
5 x 1mm polycarbonate
12 x hot glue sticks
60 x motor mounts(order error ops... got 60 for £10)
12x 400rpm micro gear motor
3 x Turnigy 4 channel transmittor
3 x turnigy reciever

Enough parts to make 6 robots. Polycarbonate is to House the electronics only in a box. The pupils will build armour and weapons. I bought all the electronics from China. Super cheap.

Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Meet DRAX
Build: 149grams

600 rpm gear motors
Das mikro 2s6a ECS
Turnigy servo(can’t remember name)
Tough hub wheels
2s lipo
Switch
6ch Turnigy Rx

temporary image hosting

House robot no 2.

Poor design of flipper arms. Needs one solid plate. I have run out of 1.5mm polycarbonate though.

It does flip and self right well. If angle is wrong one of the lifting arms pops out the side.

It’s half term so I’m going to put together all the electronics and gather cardboard from supermarkets. For my school robot wars club. I’ll upload pictures as I go.

Paul
Dazmund

Post by Dazmund »

DRAX looks great! I like how you connected up the servo to the weapon, and how you've bolted the armour on. I might take design cues from you to adapt to my own antweight, with some construction differences, of course.
DAZ DUZ BOTZ

Fili-PA (wedge flipper)
Watta Doze (tank tracked pusher)
Wolfhead (front wheel drive flipper)
2-2 Liftman (fork lifter)
The Ting Goes Grrrab (grabber/control)