"Flip-it” new build/project

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Paulmchurd

Re: "Flip-it” new build/project

Post by Paulmchurd »

Week One- Awesome!

25 students into 6 groups. Lots of planning and cutting out of card. The next week will be a challenge for them as they figure out how to add a weapon to their robots.

Unfortunately I cannot upload pictures due to safeguarding laws. However I will take some pictures of their robots next week.

House robot no3 is in the post. All parts ordered.
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

SNOW DAY!! Some free time to do some building.

DRAX Power is in process of being built.

3D printed by a member on this website. Thanks MarkR.

It will drive both ways up and hopefully will have some awesome pushing power with 4WD.

Still waiting on 4 motors. From China 🙈. Could be a while...

Also a picture of a few of the pupils robots. Some have started to add on the armour.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Looks like you are making great progress.
One thing to watch out for in the four wheel drive is that with so little of the wheels sticking through the chassis and them being inset form the front and back the opponent only need to lift one end slightly before all the wheels are off the ground.
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Did not think of that!

I think the shape of the chassis will definatly need a redesign at some stage. Possibly have the fronts of the wheels stick out so they will have access to the floor whatever angle the robot is lifted to. Looking forward to developing it.
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

After being horribly distracted by a £5 Arduino starter kit from hobbyking reduced from £25 in the sale. What a bargain!!!

I built a robot with the Arduino that reads PWM from my Tx/RX and converts it a pwm readable by a H-bridge to drive motors. Many hours of programming later it works!!!

Next stage is build it without all the giant wires and 1 battery pack to be small enough to fit in a antweight. That way I can control it with a ps3 controller or a simple joystick module. Thus reducing the price of building an antweight down to just £15-20.
Hopefully growing my club from 6 to 10 robots with a small amount of funding...

Anyway... my motors finaly arrived!! Yay!

Hopefully finish DRAX POWER today...hopefully...

Oh and here’s an awesome looking weapon one of my students made.

Fulford

Post by Fulford »

That weapon looks like its either gonna do major damage or pull an apex. Either way it looks fun. Have you built a battle box for the kids to fight in?
First ant under construction :o
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Not really a battle box. More like what you find inside the battle box but without the protective polycarbonate. I posted a picture of it somewhere.

It’s made from some sort of solid cardboard. So I will probably do an apex. However I’m sure it will be fun to see some sort of damage happening.

I finished my 3rd house robot. Ramming bot called DRAX POWER.

Build:

155g (need to drill some speed holes. The motor mounts are 100% infill. If I drill a nice hole into each Drop some weight also.)
2x tiny esc
1 x hobbyking micro bec(tiny esc couldn’t handle the current pull from RX)
4x n20 300rpm motors
1x FingerTech switch
1x 3s 180mah lipo
3D printed armour and 1mm polycarbonate lid.(thanks Mark for printing)

image hosting services
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

During the holiday I decided instead of building another robot(built 3 and non have made it to a competition yet.) I’d start building stuff for the arena.

I thought I’d try to make the arena more interactive for the students. Having a visual timer for the students to view and some sounds to count down to the start of the battle just like on the tele.

Here is a video of what I have come up with so far.

https://youtu.be/UV8U7CIkPSY
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Nice bot, Drax Power, a box on wheels.

I hope the black fits the aesthetic you had in mind, it's the PLA that I happened to have handy!
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Indeeed Mark . At some point I was going to stick some vinyl on it with Red letters saying POWER!!! I've just been far to busy with work.

It's worked out pretty well, fitting it all together was simple. However, as peter pointed out. If some one scoops me up. It loses all pushing power. So maybe a redesign of a small lip around the bottom edges to stop this from happening.

The first Robot wars championships went down on Tuesday. Here is a picture of all their creations. My y7 students found it very difficult to build a working weapon. A lot of them broke mid fights. Was fun to see a flipper arm falling off though.

My next lot of students are y9s so maybe we will seee a full set of weapon wielding robots.