A study into whether design or driver skill is more important in a tele-operated sporting contest

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Garfie489

A study into whether design or driver skill is more important in a tele-operated sporting contest

Post by Garfie489 »

Hey all,

I imagine this is the best place to put things. I want to do a sort of blog about my Final Year Project at the University of Greenwich for my Mechanical Engineering degree.

The project is to analyse the sport, mainly that which is on TV, to try and determine a hierarchy of design and to see if there are trends in which kind of designs tend to outperform another. For example, Rambot > Spinner > Flipper > Rambot. Thus the main objective will be to stereotype designs and break them down into basic categories.

Reason this relates to Antweights is the next stage. After breaking down the robot types to several basic weapons, ill get getting generic versions of those designs (via Shakey) to then fight against each other. For this purpose ill be building a new antweight arena which is based around the current Robot Wars arena to use as a testing venue.

Once thats built, ill be doing each robot design vs each other with another experienced roboteer to try and form a matrix of the how they perform against each other. There will also be 2 identical robots to act as a control, and the drivers will switch robots to ensure the driver skill is not factored into this first part of the test.

Going forwards, i will then be inviting roboteers/random people of various experience whilst i remain as a control to see if the difference in driver experience makes any effect to the matrix observed. We will see if the same stereotypes still apply, or if it all falls down.

By then comparing the effects of the roboteers driving experience compared to the difference in design, i will then analyse to see wether its the driver or the design which is more important in relation towards success in the fights outcome.

Thats the basic overview, obviously ill be adding detail as i go through but ill be needing to ask questions as i do it to double check as i go through. Hence the next post in this thread will be about arena design, i hope people find this interesting and are able to help me out in some of the questions i have :)
Garfie489

Re: A study into whether design or driver skill is more important in a tele-operated sporting contest

Post by Garfie489 »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ivbotjwbhon2 ... 6.png?dl=0

So above is my current floor plan for the arena.

Its a 900 mm^2 arena inside a 1200 mm^2 4mm thick box.

The inner walls are built to replicate the robot wars arena, being 6mm thick and having 200mm gaps in the middle of each side.

The area between the inner and outer box is 150mm for OOTAd robots to fall into, as per AWS rules.

The 150 mm^2 boxes are for the arena hazards. The Pit, Arena Flipper, a grill/mesh (no flames), and a disc of doom (instead of the spikes).

All hazards have a clear 200mm around them free space for the robots to fight in, and the arena is uniform in the 4 quarters.

Just wondering what comments people may have about this - do you like it ect?

Im not going to do the slopped sides like RW does, however im also not sure what height to have the barriers for the OOTA zones (they will be removable for AWS's). Im also looking into what L shape brackets to use to support the whole thing and am currently working on a more detailed 3D design.

However ive made alot of changes already talking to Shakey and Weston so id appreciate any more if people have any input theyd like to give.