Kosmos Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

AntRoboteer

Re: Kosmos Build Diary

Post by AntRoboteer »

Futaba connectors are black 3 pronged connectors which are identical to your servo connectors in every way except one: there's a piece of plastic on top of the connector which acts as a key so that you cannot plug in the battery the wrong way. Of course, this only helps if you are plugging into Futaba style connectors. If the connectors you are plugging into are Hitec/JR then these sockets do not tend to have clearance for the ridge and the connector will not fit.

However, the Futaba ridge is very useful to prevent damaging the batteries and hence I would recommend going for the Futaba connector versions of the batteries but removing the receiver case to allow the Futaba ridge to fit.

Hitec/JR connectors are indeed identical to your servo connectors in every way and will fit in sockets designed for Futaba but note that you will be missing the key which prevents the battery being entered the wrong way.

JST is a two pin connector and hence you can plug it in the wrong way more easily. It can technically fit into connectors designed for both Hitec/JR and Futaba. However, I'm not sure I would recommend going for JST right now because if you plug the battery into the receiver the wrong way, the receiver is going to be dead immediately in most cases.

Overall, my recommendation is to go for the Futaba variant and take the case off of the receiver to fit the ridge.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

A flipper called Kosmos? Well this is awkward... :P
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

Rhys wrote:A flipper called Kosmos? Well this is awkward... :P
:lol: Luckily it's a different spelling? As I said, mine's named after the rocket, rather than 'the cosmos' so I think we can get away with it! :P
AntRoboteer wrote:Overall, my recommendation is to go for the Futaba variant and take the case off of the receiver to fit the ridge.
Thanks! I just wanted to check to make sure I got exactly what I needed! I'll order that. Look forward for another update soon, once it arrives!! :)
Crossblow [BW] - Four Bar Lifter (Active)
Serf's Up [AW] - Lifter/Rambot (Under Construction)
Kosmos [AW] - Front Hinged Flipper (Retired)

Team Page:
https://www.facebook.com/MotteAndBaileyRobotics/
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

To be fair, I think the chances of me making it to an event any time in the next decade are slim... But if I do, we could always have a grudge match for the naming rights. :wink:
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

Rhys wrote:To be fair, I think the chances of me making it to an event any time in the next decade are slim... But if I do, we could always have a grudge match for the naming rights. :wink:
Challenge accepted! 8)

Team Page:
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

I think another update was due a week ago, but I keep telling myself that 'I'll just do a bit more before I post!' so it's just got delayed! :lol:

Anyway, on the bodywork side of things, it's largely finished, with the only modifications needed being a polycarb support for my weapon servo, which I'm ordering soon. The fins on the lid will be added only if I have enough weight, and I haven't attached the front panel yet to allow me access to set up the weapon, and drill holes in the chassis if necessary. But I'm very pleased with how it looks, and how sturdy it is!

On the electronics side of things, I've now got both the rechargeable battery, and the charger. I've also pinpointed my electronics issue as being a faulty reciever, so hobbyking should be sending me a new one within the week. When I get paid again, on Tuesday, I'll order the weapon servo, and hopefully everything should start coming together! :D

It currently weighs around 134 grams, so I may just get away without having to do any weight saving, but I'm certainly not far off finishing! I'm not sure yet as to whether I'll be able to make the next AWS, as it depends very much on if my dad can take me - unfortunately, public transport from Devon to Southampton is more tricky than it should be - and the next Ant Freeze may be difficult too. Hopefully Greenwich will become a regular venue though, as that's a little more simple!
IMG_20171021_153700841.jpg
IMG_20171021_153700841.jpg (239.17 KiB) Viewed 11096 times
IMG_20171021_153301086.jpg
IMG_20171021_153301086.jpg (241.06 KiB) Viewed 11096 times
IMG_20171021_153419431.jpg
IMG_20171021_153419431.jpg (245.52 KiB) Viewed 11096 times

Team Page:
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

IMG_20171021_153505681.jpg
IMG_20171021_153505681.jpg (244.99 KiB) Viewed 11096 times
i

Team Page:
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Wow, that looks really nice. Hope you're able to come to the AWS; I'd love to see it running. :D
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

So sadly I wasn't able to make the AWS, which is a shame, as I could well have been ready!
Anyway, here's what I've been up to:
Firstly, my receiver woes are over, as the replacement came, and worked beautifully! I now have my weapon servo, linked below, and I've fitted it in the robot, using a paperclip as the arm. I'm pleased with the weapon's power, as I can also self right, but I'm not sure how sturdy that paperclip will be - I guess I'll just have to try it out a bit more!
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/13g-met ... -6-0v.html

So, as a result, the front panel has been attached, and I've added a switch to the battery, meaning it now complies with all the rules. The charging time on this seems to be about an hour, according to the web. I did also attempt to speed mod the servos, but the micro screwdriver I've got couldn't find a purchase on some of the screws. On top of that, the smallest of my dad's watch making screwdrivers is missing, so I can't even use that. But they do seem to be fairly nippy anyway, and probably fast enough for combat, but slow enough for me to get to grips with the controls. I'll edit together a video when I get the time to demonstrate.

It currently weighs in at 144 grams, and I have a few things left I can do. Firstly, I need to get a programming cable for the transmitter, as at the moment the flipper only moves 90° by twisting a knob. Easily fixed, but needs to be done. Second might be the fins from the original design, that would definitely help protect the switch from being knocked in a fight. I also have the option of shortening the servo cables to take up less weight and space, but it's really whether or not I can be bothered to do that! Lastly is getting some double sided tape to attach the acetate. However, the main body of the robot is already 4 inches by 4 inches, so doing this would mean that the acetate actually pokes out beyond that, something I hadn't foreseen! How much of an issue is this? Any suggestions?

But thanks again for all the help and encouragement. My younger brother is having a go at it too, now, so I'll upload some photos of his project at some point! But making this has been great fun - I think I might be hooked on the hobby! :D
IMG_20171112_155403595.jpg
IMG_20171112_155403595.jpg (246.63 KiB) Viewed 10991 times
IMG_20171112_155240513.jpg
IMG_20171112_155240513.jpg (248.56 KiB) Viewed 10991 times
IMG_20171112_155257960.jpg
IMG_20171112_155257960.jpg (243.43 KiB) Viewed 10991 times

Team Page:
Geoffreybath

Post by Geoffreybath »

Looks good for your first time build. Any ideas for next robot project :D