Building my first 150g "uk ant" fleaweight shell spinner

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Camo5

Building my first 150g "uk ant" fleaweight shell spinner

Post by Camo5 »

Hey all, some of you may recognize my username from the internets, I have only ever built 1 bot, a 1 pounder named spinook.

Being in the US, there are fewer competitions with 150, 75, and 25g boys out here, and as I finish college I would probably be able to host my own competitions with the community.

That being said, I'm working on a 150g and possibly 75g version of spinook. I am having lots of trouble sourcing the parts I want, though I've been in contact with the creator of the nanotwo v2, and this would be absolutely perfect for me, along with a brushless esc the next step smaller than the 20A ones typically found on racing quads.

I've narrowed drivemotors down to the 6mm 25:1 gearmotors from pololu, along with a 180 mah turnigy nanotech 2s, and weapon motor choice is currently a cobra 2203 (I'm looking for a motor with about 50w of power and a base to top of shell profile around 10mm)

Would anyone be interested in selling me a nanotwo? ;P my budget is $200 for the robot, as it's going to be designed to withstand all punishment from the harshest 150g bots here, such as demise.

Initial cad pics to come when I get to my computer.
Camo5

Re: Building my first 150g "uk ant" fleaweight shell spinner

Post by Camo5 »

UPDATE

http://imgur.com/a/3cdB2
Here is a build list between my 1 pounder and updates on the 150g bot.

the tiny square thing with wires coming out is a mockup of a picotwo controller- for scale...

I need to find a 6 or 7 amp brushless speed controller smaller than 21mm x 12mm x 7, the smallest i've found so far (ZTW mantis 6A)

what do you guys think?

The shell is currently going to be 96 grams of 2.3mm steel. at 76.2mm OD
Last edited by Camo5 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Camo5

Post by Camo5 »

I really want there to be a way to get or make my own Roryboard....Spinook (my 1 lber) could shave off 5 mm of height!! all that weight reduction would go into a thicker and more robust shell!

(No, 2.5mm thick case hardened 1018 steel isn't enough already)

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have had several goes at making full body spinners in the 150 gm class but so far with only limited success.
Many of my problems came from instability when I turned the revs up so you may have more success with the indirect drive which I assume gears it down somewhat.
My only real comment is that those 6 mm motors are rather small, I use them in my Nano class robots (25 gm) but I am not sure they will have enough power for the 150 gm class and also maybe not strong enough (tiny plastic gears) to withstand the forces when you hit something.
Anyway good luck if it all works out I might have to revisit the full body spinners.
Camo5

Post by Camo5 »

I try to keep a 1.5:1 ratio on the drive, For my ant it uses a AT2206 1500kv - 17 Tmotor and I've clocked my shell at 9k rpm (7k movement stable).

I was also concurrently advised to stay away from the 6mm gearmotors because they "break if you blink wrong" according to a buddy who used them.

On 8mm wheels, the 24:1 gearmotors will have just enough torque to break traction, and I was also toying with the idea of a 4 motor design -

Image Image

But if i do indirect drive on 4 wheels, My shell has to increase to 70mm inner diameter, and i would have to mess with those funky 1s 270mah cylinder cells, and I can't find any better motors than an 1804 2300kv.

I really want this to be a successful successor to my antweight, though. I've seen many failed attempts at a 150g shell spinner. one thing that would help IMMENSELY is those tinytwo controllers. cramming 2 separate brushed drives, a reciever, and a pwm lead for a weapon?? in 18 x 26 x 5mm?? You can't buy these stateside!! >:(

Speaking of my antweight, I did a second modification, making the weapon motor go through the baseplate so i could make the top essentially flush with the battery, making the total profile 30.5mm tall:

Image Image

I can't go ahead with the redesign till i get a tinytwo though, its the only thing that fits in the space allocated for it...
Camo5

Post by Camo5 »

...I attempted to go ahead and try to cram my electronics into the space.

Wiring SUCKS UGH!

On the plus side, i'm getting valuable experience stripping down components and getting exactly the right lengths of wire I need for this mess...

I've never tampered with the pins on an RX before...I had to remove the pins on my pwm cables and solder directly to them for shortness without full-on soldering to the board because I lack that kind of dexterity and don't want any short-circuits.