"Sioc" Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

ShootyMcExplosion

Re: "Sioc" Build Diary

Post by ShootyMcExplosion »

Well, I've left this build alone for far too long, but I finally decided today to finish Sioc. Here's the completed ant!:

I got the look from simply printing out an ice texture and sticking it to the inside layer of the polycarb, which gives it even more of an ice-y feel.

All of the poly pieces are now mounted together via a few nuts, bolts, and pieces of a cut out biscuit tin. The only exception is the front, which I simply ran out of space and weight to mount, so that's still tape unfortunately. Should do in a pinch though.

Everything is snugly contained down below, and arranged in a way that shouldn't interfere with the lifter.

I abandoned the linkage system due to space, and went back to a good ol' arm with a rubber band to help retract. Also, thanks to everything not being mounted by Blu Tack, the machine now self rights 100% of the time. Hooray!

I still need to get better at driving, but for the most part I think I've done fairly well for a first antweight. If I could do it again from scratch, I'd maybe try to design the pieces of poly in such a way that made the insides of the robot more accessible, as well as re-angle the flipper to have for give. I also need to get some acetate for the front as well. I still have my second antweight to finish (really, to start), which should be a fun design, and I'm also hoping to design a FW soon as well, so I'll probably head over to the FRA forums for that.

Finally, I've just realized that I never explained why the machine had its name. "Sioc" is the Irish word for "Frost", and I wanted to give the machine a winter-y vibe.
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

That looks really good, hope to see it at an event soon.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
ShootyMcExplosion

Cheers man, although since I'm living in Ireland, I'll probably wait until I have at least one more antweight built before I can justify going to an event, to get the most out of one as possible.
botomatic1000

Post by botomatic1000 »

That's a neat looking flipper you got there :) well done.
Ethan Wall KINGS HEATH COLLIDERS
Current Robots: Sprat Bait: The worst 150g Wedge ever built...
Elysium 1.4: Antweight Undercutter, built by Team Riptide, Brummie glass cannon edition!
Barracuda: Beetleweight Vert... hates working...
Spiky goat

Post by Spiky goat »

I'm just about to start mine, so handy to see what others have done, and how they've done it. Cool little robot :)
ShootyMcExplosion

Cheers man! With the kits, I find that building a basic antweight is more of a design challenge over an electrical one. It's a great feeling to be able to control something you built.Wishing you the best of luck with your first antweight!