Re: GeorgeR's robots

Post by Phil_8 »

This is awesome!

Pretty much what I am wanting to build
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

That is one nicely built shiny machine!
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Well, I got it wired up, and it worked!.... but then the dasmikro decided to fall apart (one of the signal pads just fell off the pcb), so now I'm in a desperate rush to get a new drive esc. Damn cheap junk.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Does the Dasmikro have pin-through-hole or surface pads for the connections?

I'm guessing looking at the pictures that it's surface pads, it's easy to mechanically stress them (e.g. pull on the soldered wire), then the track comes off the pcb. Is that what happened?

I'm guessing appropriate application of heatshrink might be a good solution. What do you think?

(NB: My dasmikro is on its way from China, I hope it gets shipped out before the Chinese new year)
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

It has surface pads, and the pad came off, (just the pad, it didn't bring any of the rest of the trace with it). I do wonder if maybe one of the wires got knocked in my parts box, I soldered it up for initial testing last month and didn't notice anything dodgy, and the rest of the pads seem ok.
Probably a good idea to go careful when soldering and heat shrink ASAP to provide some protection.
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Well, those NanoTwos turned up at the right time, and esc panic was short lived (cheers Shakey and Rory).
Got it all wired up and bodged a cereal box lid so I could get some spinner fine tuning in...

...and initial results are very promising, the weapon is only very slightly unbalanced, it's fine at low speeds, gets a bit buzzy in the mid power range, but then smooths out high up. This is something of a miracle given it's handmade and I was basically balancing by eye, Yay!

Other good news is that gyro issues are effectively non-existent even at full throttle, so I'll probably use it fully cranked up at all times. I was a little disappointed that it couldn't gyro self-right, but i'm sure better maneuverability will be more useful is most situations.
The only downside is that even with the card top it's 149g, so I've got some weight to cut to get it to 150g with the planned polycarb top.
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Looks absolutely stunning. Love all of your machines. :D
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

It's finally done! Introducing Valkyrie...

Specs
83x96x25mm, 150g
NanoTwo with 30:1 500rpm motors for drive, 2x RacerStar BR1106 motors driven by 2x Emax Bullet 6A esc's for the weapon.
Construction the same as Vampire, 1.5mm carbon fibre, 1.6mm aluminium angle, and 0.75mm polycarbonate for the chassis and armour.
7075T6 aluminium weapon with M3 high tensile bolts for the teeth, 25g, 23mm rotational diameter, 32,000rpm!

After a fair bit of work it's on weight and the weapon is balanced. Much to my surprise it's really nice to drive with no gyro issues, and while the weapon is on the tame end for an antweight spinner, I've got pretty high hopes of this being competitive. Bring on Ant Freeze!
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

I just know I'm gonna finish my bot in time for Ant Freeze then I'm gonna draw one of your spinners in first round of matches then be collecting him with a dustpan and brush afterwards. Heh.

I wonder how well I'd fare getting hit by Valkyrie. Even if we don't get matched up, and if there's time once the competition is over, I might let you have a go, for science etc. It's hard to predict what kind of damage would occur having not fought with my robot before. I'm curious if it would just pull my front armour piece clean off.

Oh, and its gorgeous by the way. I showed my housemate (who is also a big fan of the robot shows) pictures of your ants to show what some folks on this forum are building. His response was - whoa.
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Cheers, but I wouldn't be so worried about my spinners when Shakey's bringing the likes of "Don't Hug Me I'm Scared", I was pretty unlucky drawing that beast in my first ever robot fight at last years ant freeze.

While I'm not really sure how powerful Valkyrie will be, and I've only seen Third Law in pics, I reckon you'd stand up pretty well. My guess is that I'd take some nibbles out of the polycarb, and maybe take the head off a bolt, but Third Law looks solid enough that any larger hits would flip or throw you rather than cause major damage. Either way I'm certainly up for "testing" if you are!