Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Flippt

Post by Flippt »

I'm not too keen with the UK hobby shops, but I know SMC and Robot Birds
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Chris

Post by Chris »

I know about SMC, it has the HFS-05MS for ?15.99 a quite Decent R/X but a a decent Transmitter & R/X batteries(i want to avoid soldering them together, i don't know where i would find cables) is hard and i hear a SD200 could be good Also at SMC for 14 GBP

Basicly want list is:
3Ch+ mini R/X
2 Drive servos
Batteries
Transmiter 4 channels+
And mixing is reccomended
Last edited by Chris on Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAC robotics

olivers

Post by olivers »

The Robot Birds site is good for LiPo batteries. These are the best type of batteries at the moment as they are lighter than the equivalent NiMh or NiCad.

The only downside is you need a special LiPo charger. You can get one of those for less than ?20 but then need either a 12V battery or a mains-12V adapter.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

The transmitter and reciever seem fine. But as Joacim said, 6 channels seems overkill. I'd go for a smaller and lighter one. As for the servo, I really would reccomend against using that servo for drive. They're a bit rubbish. You can probably get a better one for less money. Well, not probably, definatly. With the servos, think about what you want (light, torquey, fast, cheap etc), then take a look in the servo reccomendation thread. Personally I'd reccomend the GWS park servos for beginners. Fairly light, cheap, reliable and they can be speed modded in the future when you get better.

Also, the site that has these servos and Rx & Tx, it's in america right? That'll cost a fair bit to ship over. Try and get it all from UK shops if possible. Just to help, if I was going to start again from scratch, here's what I'd go for.

Transmitter: Futaba 4EXA 40mhz from Here

Reciever: Hitec HFS-05MS from Here

Batteries: 4.8v 250mah Ni-Mh from Here

Servos: 3 x GWS Park Servos (2 for drive, 1 for weapon) from Here

You can also get chargers, crystals and any other little bits like that from the place that does the batteries and servos.

It'll all weigh in at under 100g, leaving you plenty of weight for wheels, weapons, armour etc. And for under ?100 you'll have some quality parts that'll last you for a while.

Edit: Sorry Chris, missed that part of your post about batteries. The 4.8v reciever battery I mentioned above already has the connections all soldered so you won't have to worry about that. The reciever should come with a battery already in it. If not, they can be picked up cheap enough, all soldered and ready to plug in.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Well, we are aiming for a saw, The shop with that T/X R/X combo was pointed to by Mr. Waller when we went to visit, it's in in China so the stuff is quite cheap. The HFS-O5MS and the Futaba 4EXA combined actually cost more! Yours ?45.00 & ?15.99(?60.99) Opposed to ?31.29 and the shipping won't cost 30 odd Quid (will it?)
Last edited by Chris on Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
NAC robotics

Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Rhys nice post, will have to refer back to that in the future.

For a spinner you need a weapon motor, this can be from anything. To begin with you are best getting a brushed motor (the standard type with 2 wires). You will want a control board, http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_i ... cts_id=933 something like that for a small motor would be fine.
TEAM GEEK!
olivers

Post by olivers »

Be carefull ordering big stuff from abroad, customs get a bit interested then and you end up paying more.

I would pick:

Transmitter: Futaba 4EXA 40mhz (thats a bargain at ?45). Try and get a spare crystal set at the spare time. I have created a frequency list under the antweight section to see what people already have.

Reciever: Hitec HFS-05MS (either that or the older Hitec Feather Rx)

Batteries: I would get one of the 2 cell 300-700mAh from Robot Birds. Some come with soldered connectors.

Servos: either 3* GWS Park of the SD200's. Both are good servos. The GWS don't need speed modding as are fast enough already. The SD200's are a nice beginner servo but not as fast or powerfull as the GWS Park ones.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Nemesis wrote:Simon,

I saw the, um, Antweight Music Video, I learned a few things, for example spinners/saws are more used for pushing than cutting, and how important it is to be in control 100% of the time, as the arena is SO small!
For a spinner/saw, how would a hardened-steel fabric-cutting disc perform? Mum has a few that are no longer good for fabric as they are very slightly chipped. They are about 1.5mm thick, so two or more fixed together might be an idea?

Nick
Not even 1.5 mm, they are about 0.3mm!!

Nick
NAC Robots

http://www.cpax.org.uk/~nick/nemesis/index.html The Nemesis Website.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

The blade I had on Milky Joe was 1.5mm thick. Weighed over 30g. It's a possibility, but perhaps a bit dangerous for your first ant...

http://www.extremefightingmachines.co.u ... e=5444.gif

Bottom left.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Duff wrote:The blade I had on Milky Joe was 1.5mm thick. Weighed over 30g. It's a possibility, but perhaps a bit dangerous for your first ant...

http://www.extremefightingmachines.co.u ... e=5444.gif

Bottom left.
Not only are they about 0.3mm but their radius is about 12mm.

Also, do people have to make their own saws generally or do you just go out and buy them? Because I'm considering a slit saw, which seems to me to be difficult to make.

Nick
NAC Robots

http://www.cpax.org.uk/~nick/nemesis/index.html The Nemesis Website.