New Robots

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

i don't agree,

a scoop or wedge isn't a weapon, a 'stabbing device' classifies as a weapon when actively controlled.
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Well you have the last word in this, so if you feel it isn't allowed than thats that. You are better versed at the rules than I.

But can you elaborate on why then?
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
josh

Post by josh »

the thing i dont understand is that for instance FIN has nails on it that are thicker then 1mm and hes allowed those and he uses those by spinning the whole robot so technically it is the same thing for me and also the rules state no metal armour more than 1mm so does that mean i can have thicker metal chassis? soz just trying to see if i can get away with not having to machine it all again.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Armour is defined in the rules as "a protective shell" (or somesuch), so FIN's nails are clearly not armour.

Generally, if it moves relative to the robot, it is a weapon. i.e. lifter, flipper, disc etc.

A fixed scoop is harder to argue away, especially since it will generally afford significant protection to the insides of the robot. It has only limited offensive value.

Josh, if you're still not sure, post a sketch as it's easier to understand.

Merry Xmas everyone, hope Santa brings you some nice robot gear!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

If we are talking about the robot shown in the links above and the titanium replaces the clear plastic parts I would say that it could hardly be considered armour. Most of the robot is outside the metal which appears to protect only the motor and weapon and maybe the battery and receiver if they are not in the side tubes. I would say that it was more of a chassis than armour but why you need 3mm titanium I don't know.
josh

Post by josh »

hi yup pete is right is the clear bits on the pics above the thing was that the poly ended quite flexy so i decided to get them cnced in ti with the disk and tbh it doesnt prottect much appart from the motor but its moroe of a skeleton then a plate and there is carbon fibre to go over everything appart from the middle bit were the disk is anyway i dont want to upset anyone by entering it if people arent happy with it...

thanx
merry christmas
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
josh

Post by josh »

btw if i was to cover these chassis pieces would they be allowed because they then wouldnt really be armour would they?
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

josh wrote:btw if i was to cover these chassis pieces would they be allowed because they then wouldn't really be armour would they?
that would also mean i could enter my fully one-piece machined Titanium armored pushbot with a nice layer of paint on it.

the 'might-be' problem could easily be avoided by not using the 3 mm titanium, no need for it anyway like Pete said.

It's like one of my first feathers I've built, armored with 12 mm Hardox, the only real use for it was to counterweight the axe on the front.

3 mm titanium in an antweight is just waaay overkill.
josh

Post by josh »

i know but ended up lighter because i could make it thinner and is already cut because i thought that it would be ok seeing as it doesnt protect anything realy and is more of a frame to mount things on... and saves money on getting it cut again because the rules say that any metal armour over 1mm is illegal although this isnt armour becaus eht earmour will be bolted onto this it wont prottect anything because there i dont think will be a way of getting at it without hitting the disk or going through 1mm of carbon fibre.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

Assuming this is the robot we are talking about and I have understood this right, I would have said that the plastic bits are clearly a chassis, and so the thickness rule is irrelevant because it is not armour?