New Robots

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

ewan

Post by ewan »

I'm now thinking I may dive in the deep end and get a sozbots controller or similar, li-pos, gearmotors, ti etc. Its certainly friendlier to me as I'm used to all these things on a featherweight scale rather than servos, but whether my pocket can take it is much the deciding factor :o
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Hi Ewan, i have heard of you from Dom (Ukrobotics) as he is a housemate of mine. It is great you have decided to build an antweight. Money is always the problem unfortuantly. Please feel free to ask questions i am sure someone will be able to answer.
TEAM GEEK!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Hi Ewan, and welcome to Antweights!
I think you will find them quite different to featherweights in almost every respect.
If you're on a limited budget, servos are almost certainly the cheapest way to go. Designing and building an ant is very different to a feather, I thnk you really need to start with a different mind-set.
For example, a reciever is easily "lost in a corner" in a feather, yet in an ant it takes up a significant amount of space and often the rest of the ant is designed around it! Similarly it's quite easy in a feather to keep the receiver away from the motors, batteries and other sources of interference. In an ant it's impossible to keep anything very far from anything else. :wink: Yet still there is interference to think about...

Good luck with your design and hope to see you at AWS21. If you have any questions don't heasitate to shout!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

josh wrote:chris, if u want a brushed speed controller then i have 2 5 amp 1s and a 2 amp 1 which i am willing to sell as i have no use for them willl sell for a 5er (includes postage)
I think we might just take that offer. Hold on to it for us please.

Also, our new DT teacher practically burned holes through my proposal to make Project: Nemesis a DT Coursework project as it says in my website.

Nick.

PS: How do you manage a huge avatar in less than 8 Kilobytes?
NAC Robots

http://www.cpax.org.uk/~nick/nemesis/index.html The Nemesis Website.
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Nemesis wrote:PS: How do you manage a huge avatar in less than 8 Kilobytes?
Use the "Upload avatar from a URL"
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Adam Hargreaves

Post by Adam Hargreaves »

Nick-it might just be a case of rewording the project to get it usable as coursework, which is what i had to do for A-level. Once i reworded it, it was accepted (on third time of asking!)
Team 'In Theory'
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

[quote="Nemesis...How do you manage a huge avatar in less than 8 Kilobytes?[/quote]
First, use a GIF image. Second, reduce the number of colours. Third, look at the size of the final GIF file, not the size of the raw bitmap that your graphics program might be telling you!

Please keep avater files to a sensible size, both in bytes and number of pixels.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Adam Hargreaves wrote:Nick-it might just be a case of rewording the project to get it usable as coursework, which is what i had to do for A-level. Once i reworded it, it was accepted (on third time of asking!)
That won't work because the design uses 'pre-manufactured components'. And yes I started being what some people consider 'cheeky' but I consider 'desperate'.

By the way I used PNG. I consider it's compression better (considering the number of colours you can use). If I used a modestly-sized animated GIF for my avatar would you mind terribly? It cycles once and stops by default.

Nick.
NAC Robots

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Sorry for double-posting but it's been ages.

We are having trouble finding the bast WASHERS to use for our wheels. We have rubber ones but they push against the servo and the wheel falls off. We also tried a metal one but it seemed to get worse, any suggestions please?

Nick.
NAC Robots

Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hi Nick,

I can't visualise what you're saying. How are the washers attached to the servos?

Simon