New Robots

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The aptly-named Vacuum is made from vac-formed polycarbonate.

Remember you will also need some small, light batteries (at least 2 sets) and a charger. AA's or even AAA's will bust the weight limit in an ant.
2/3AAA NiMH (are they still easily available?) or the very small and light Lithium polymer (Li-po) packs discussed many other places on this forum.

Good luck, trawl through the forum history for some useful pointers and if you're still stuck/confused, post a question and someone will be sure to answer!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hello this is Chris other person involved in making Nemesis.
Olivers, do you know where northampton is? if you don't i had a look at a map and it's Roughly on the other side of Milton Keynes from Reading.

what is Speed modding and how do you do it? I may not have noticed, i've read up and found out how you make a servo run 360 Degrees, I may have missed speed modding.

Where on the the web do you find the recivers/servos for a cheap price?

That's it questions up, now for me to show you our stuff so far.

Me and Nick have built a card model of the basic design and I took some shots on the digital camera.
here are some basic explanations. We are planning to fit some castors on either side and that small technic wheel at the front is representing a circular saw which the size and number of teeth is debated, we won't make the robot out of corrugated cardboard, and We've decided to curve the edges instead of using those hard to notice wheel spikes.
NAC robotics

Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Looks all good. Cant wait to see it :)

What type of motor are you gonna use for the weapon?
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hi Chris,

Speed modding is the removal of a gear in the servo to increase the speed of the output gear. Search on speed modding to find some guides on how to do it. It can be risky, however, because your servo may not survive the process.

There are hundreds of servos to chose from. Try ebay for some really cheap ones. Keep an eye on the weight, and on the speed.

The design looks good, here are some comments.
Bear in mind that the long length of the robot will meant that its nose will twitch about with every slight turn.
Your design means that you have a very small offensive area, but a arge area that can be attacked.
Will you have castors on the top and bottom, to make it run both ways up? and what will be the effect of hitting an opponent when you're running upside-down, and the wheel is spinning downwards, might it not flip your own robot backwards?
Also think about having easy access to the batteries (for a spare replacement) and to the crystal (change in five minutes is the rule) and also think about how you're going to turn it on and off.

I admire your work so far. So many people just build without doing the design, and you'll reap the benefits of this early design stage.

Simon
Chris

Post by Chris »

Simon Windisch wrote: Will you have castors on the top and bottom, to make it run both ways up?
Yes, thats why you see a picture of both sides
and what will be the effect of hitting an opponent when you're running upside-down, and the wheel is spinning downwards, might it not flip your own robot backwards?
we've thought about that, we think we might be able to use a toothless disk, and run it both ways (would that make it a spinner?)
As for the batteries and crystals, we have an access hatch to be worked out on the Green side.

Oh yes the cardboard is a bit off, but, we thank whoever it is that plastic is more solid than corrugated card.
NAC robotics

Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

OK Chris, most ESCs (Electronic Speed Controllers) only run the motor one way, because they're designed for aeroplane propellers.

I forgot to mention that you probably won't need to use castors, most two-wheeled antweights just slide along on their front edges.

Simon
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Simon,
Thanks for these hints about armour, balance and weight. One possiblity is to put the wheels further forward and curve the back, also removing castors and making it drag. Another idea is to enlarge the weapon by lifting it off the floor but that compromises balance.
I suppose that whether the idea you saw would have such a bad spin effect depends on how far back I can put the weight, that is, the further back the better.
Another thing is, the RC kit we intend to use is not sold with a model, it is quite literally transmitter & receiver with servos, Chris could probably tell you about the model name and all that jazz he's officially in charge of Material Research.
But, how much does polycarbonate cost, does it have a more widely recognised name and can I get hold of it without shopping online?

Nick, Nemesis co-creator
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

You can buy small sheets of Polycarbonate from good model shops if you don't want to buy online. If you have a toothless disc how will it work. What you need is to see some ants first hand so if you can get to a competition that would help no end. Failing that I see from one of your posts you are in Northampton which probably makes me one of the nearest to you in Aylesbury. If your parents agree and they could bring you to Aylesbury I can show you a collection of ants including spinners and explain how they operate maybe let you have a drive. But you would need to involve your parents as you can't be too careful when meeting people over the internet.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Especially people called Pete :lol:

It would really help give you guys some helpful advice if you see other ants and how they work 8)
TEAM GEEK!
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Thanks everyone, cool. We'll probably ask in the summer holidays (only three weeks!) and a toothless disc works on the principle that it has a sharpened edge.

Nick, Nemesis co-creator

PS: Your robot avatar does look cool by the way Pete. The guiding forks look spooky. And also thank you very much for offering.