New Robots

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Very nice with that size blade an amount of titanium armour I am amazed you got it under 150gms. It is a pity you and Craig didn't make the event yesterday.
Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

it's 143 gr

DBA on the other hand was just 135 gr at AWS19, still is today
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Hello Antweight builders

I'm new here. Me and a friend are building an antweight robot for a GCSE project. The robot will be called Nemesis (unless it's been taken or you decide to steal it, please let me know) and it's an unflippable design (I call this the Pussycat principle) with a 10 to 20 radius circular saw, possibly made of stainless steel or failing that aluminium. The armour will be made of strengthened plastic (hopefully over 5mm thick) and driven by LEGO Technic wheels. The budget is ?90.

Please let me know if you can provide some advice because we hope to be serious contenders considering the apparently low budget.

Nick, designer, graphic artist and component measurer-and-fitter-inner for the up-and-coming robot Nemesis (or something else if the name is gone).
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hi Nick,

We'd love to provide advice, let us know more as your design progresses. ?90 should do it if you don't factor in the transmitter and possibly crystals, which will cost you another ?50.

We usually use polycarbonate, and I believe that technobots.co.uk provides 30cm squares for reasonable amounts of money. 3-4mm is probably all you really need.

All the best, and perhaps if you're nearby you can visit us at our next event. In Sep-Oct we will be at Reading, London and Stratford.

Simon
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Simon,
Thank you for letting me know what you think. We were planning on using 5mm vacuum-formed acrylic plastic but if we can get hold of some of that polycarbon stuff (sounds tricky) it would probably work better. We have a receiver/transmitter system with servos in mind, costs ?80.
Also, is there some kind of antweight championship series for complete beginners? We don't particularly want to get chopped to pieces, on our first appearance!
One more thing, would that much plastic armour combined with 3 servos and a reciever weigh too much? I know there's a 150g limit so I want to cut down on weight, but then looking at some robots they do look heavier than our design!

Thank you for your support.

Nick, co-creator of NEMESIS.
josh

Post by josh »

acrylic is very heavy maybe try some plasticard or 1mm polycarb and glue it together instead of vaccum mouldin acrylic which is way to heavy i would have thought
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
olivers

Post by olivers »

You really need to look at small servos and receivers to get the weight down. You can buy transmitters on their own without the RC gear.

For receivers the Hitec Feather is a good start. For servos either the park HPX BB F (from the top of my head) and the SD200 are good drive servos. Both easily modified for 360 and speed modding (although the park servo is fast enough on it's own).

As for 4/5mm polycarb. Where do you live? I have a small amount kicking about somewhere.
Adam Hargreaves

Post by Adam Hargreaves »

Esky servos are good-only about a fiver each and only weigh 8g. Make sure you get more than you need though-they do burn out fairly easily (apparently at random-maybe i just got a couple of dodgy ones :S). For a Reciever, look in the Q&A thread-there was a topic fairly recently about the replacement for the HiTec feather, and it is very, very good.

Good luck as well-I made a robot for A-level, so if you need any paperwork help, drop me a line (ive deleted all my paperwork btw, but i have a good idea as to what to put, lol)
Team 'In Theory'
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

I think 5mm acrylic would be far too heavy to use in an ant.
Polycarbon would defenetly work better. I am not sure if you can vacume form polycarbon? If you could that would be great for you.
If you want to test your ant weight you are welcome to go to an aws or reading robot club comp and go into the none spinner competition.
Either way you are going to have to fight a spinner one day (best after you hand in your project) and you will be damanged.
If you need some advice and tips on ants in person there will be a event at the London expo which will last for 2 days and there will be plenty of time. Events like the aws and rrc people are usually pressed for time.
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Marco Roberts wrote:I am not sure if you can vacume form polycarbon?
Team Bovik use vaccum form on some of their robots.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!