Newbie saying hello and looking for local(ish) events.

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Ddraiggoch

Newbie saying hello and looking for local(ish) events.

Post by Ddraiggoch »

Hello all. My three boys and I fancied having a bash at some robot carnage so I've ordered a kit from Rory and we'll be brainstorming some ideas over the next week or so. Now I'm probably looking in the wrong place, but are there any events in the South Wales/West areas or are we going to have to travel a bit?
Rhys

Re: Newbie saying hello and looking for local(ish) events.

Post by Rhys »

There's been a couple of events in Caerphilly previously, and may be one coming up in the near(ish) future. But chances are you'll have to travel as those have been the only two events in Wales ever!

Where abouts are you from?
Ddraiggoch

Post by Ddraiggoch »

Hi.
We're in Rhiwderin, just outside Newport.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Ah, I know it very well, drive through there every weekend. The hall where I've held my previous events is literally a 10 minute drive away. I say Caerphilly, but it's actually Machen.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I had literally never been to Wales until I went to Rhys' last event, it wasn't too bad in the end :)

Ant events tend to be quite concentrated in the southeast of the country quite naturally as most roboteers tend to be from there and therefore access is easy - I think more local events will happen naturally with the new people that are getting involved (I'm certainly hoping to organise something later this or early next year) but travelling's probably an inevitability sadly. I live in the far northern wastelands so I share your pain! What we tend to do is make a weekend of events - book a Premier Inn/Travelodge, travel down on the Friday, organise some sort of dinner on the Friday/Saturday night with fellow hotel dwelling roboteers at the nearest pizza place and get a train back on the Sunday.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

I'm looking at hosting in Stroud which is only an hour from Newport :D
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
joebrown

Post by joebrown »

Hi! Just joined the forum :)
Bristol University runs a bi-annual antweight event, I think the next one is planned for December? That's not too far from you I guess.
Keep an eye on here: http://www.beees.co.uk/
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

joebrown wrote:Hi! Just joined the forum :)
Bristol University runs a bi-annual antweight event, I think the next one is planned for December? That's not too far from you I guess.
Keep an eye on here: http://www.beees.co.uk/
If Bristol Uni are willing/able to open this event up to any robot builders I'm sure we could guarantee a decent turnout! Post the event details on here (in the Events section!) and people will turn up :)
It would be great to have some more events, the 3 AWSs a year are really the bare minimum.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Asht

Post by Asht »

Bristol would be awesome
Yard

Post by Yard »

Agreed, I'd definitely turn up to that if it was open to any roboteers or even just interested people.