Knappster's monstrosities!

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Knappster

Knappster's monstrosities!

Post by Knappster »

I've been collecting parts to build an antweight for some time now but I've only recently had time to sit down and implement something.

I bought a Fabrikator mini 3D printer a little while back and set myself the task of designing a bot that could be printed on it's tiny print bed of 80x80x80mm.

This lead to a modular design that sort of makes sense in my head. Behold!

I'm hoping that should any one part become damaged it'll be easy to replace and not have to replace the whole chassis in one go. The wheels are currently the ones that came with Rory's kit which are great but I'd like to make some slightly smaller ones.

Next step, weapons design. I was going for a flipper but I'm leaning more towards a drum spinner.
bigsi111

Re: Knappster's monstrosities!

Post by bigsi111 »

Lovely bot, you've obviously really thought out the chassis...
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Very impressive for a first robot, looking forward to see how it turns out and performs.
Knappster

Post by Knappster »

I attempted last night to get the transmitter up and running. Due to the lack of DSM2 Tx's floating around I've gone for a Devo 7E and flashed it with the Deviation firmware.

I'm fairly new to modern Tx systems but I've managed to get it to bind. However it's constantly driving forward unless I really adjust the elevator trim down. But turning left and right is inverted, I assumed changing the aileron control to inverted on the Tx would fix it but no change. Also driving forward it bears to the left a lot, no amount of adjusting trim seems to make a difference.

Anyone else got a Devo 7E to play nice with Rory's Lemon Rx/ESC combo?
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

You may need to swap the left/right motor cables physically (either between motors, or just reversing motor polarity) in combination with servo reversing to get a combination that works - I have that with most transmitters inevitably!
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Knappster

Post by Knappster »

Yeah that's not a problem, I need to re-wire it anyway to get the power switch in and extend the motor cables.
UserFriendly

Post by UserFriendly »

Looks really good! Well done. I have a DEVO 7E, they are a little tricky to set up. I may be able to help. Within the menu, there is a much larger trim adjustment available, than is available by pressing the switches, see if that helps! I did have to physically swap motor wires at one point...
Andy B - Team UserFriendly
Reading Cybernetics Graduate 1996
Trying not to take Antweights too seriously. I think I'm failing.
First AWS was 46.
Knappster

Post by Knappster »

Been experimenting with creating wheels and tyres. I'm almost happy with the process for creating the tyres. Gonna try out one more mould design I think to try and remove the need to trim the sides of the tyres down.

Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Those look really nice, and pretty sturdy. Would you recommend the Fabrikator btw? Eventually should I get enough money to go into 3D printing, I'm wondering whether this one is worth the money.
Knappster

Post by Knappster »

The Fabrikator mini is the best printer at its price point imo. The print area is small and doesn't have a easily removable print bed though. I've cut a square sheet of aluminium and printed some clips to create a removable bed. Someone on eBay sells a very nice heated bed if you wish to print other plastics like ABS.

The control board is based off an open source design so it has spare controllers for additional steppers/heat bed/fans. You can plug in common LCD control units with sdcard readers and make it stand alone.

It comes with a tiny USB cable, I had to replace that. It's definitely the best printer to learn the basics of 3D printing on.