Build Diary for a new antweight

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bot_bandit

Re: Build Diary for a new antweight

Post by bot_bandit »

10/10 on style points! Let's hope it fights just as well. It does look like it'll be a worthy opponent in the ant arena! Great job :)
Luke H - Team Bandit
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Thank you everyone. I've had quite a lazy week so I've started on rebuilding my first robot. Made a quick mock up out of paper, before cutting it out in polycarb.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (105.24 KiB) Viewed 9046 times
And I've also bent the chassis with the help of the vice, very handy.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (106.1 KiB) Viewed 9046 times
I've also drilled some 4mm holes for the wheels and some 2mm here and there to screw the back and side panels together. The original had its wheels on the inside but seeing as this one will have less space on the inside, I've decided to instead add them to the outside and maybe put some more decorative wheelguards in.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

So, as I didn't have much going on today until robot wars, I spent most of the day working on rebuilding Oni. I drilled holes into the top panels, and added a couple of hinges, as well as bending the sides of the flipper for strength and to slide it into the hinges.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (102.12 KiB) Viewed 9008 times
Unfortunately I forgot to take any more pictures until I was finished, but I bent a paper clip to fit into the hinges and the flipper, fitted all the electronics, the motors held with zip ties and the servo with two zip ties chained as suggested. I also bent another paper clip and fitted if through the servo arm and the flipper to work as a four bar lifter. Finally, I screwed all the top panels on, and a small polycarb plate to lessen the ground clearance of the flipper so it can get under things.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (121.34 KiB) Viewed 9008 times
Eventually this should be replaced with an aluminium scoop plate, and a self righting fin will be added as well as some artwork. I still have 25g to play with and the robot fits into the size limits so overall I think it's been pretty successful.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

So after messing with the hinges on the flipper and having to essentially replace all of them, I've made it so the flipper opens more and sort of springs open giving a better flip. I've also added a fin to the top for self righting but I am unable to find a way for the robot to right itself from on its side, no matter how many fins I add.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (161.89 KiB) Viewed 8961 times
Looks a little like Make-A-Bot.

I've also added some artwork to the back and underside of the robot. The flames look a little generic, but they remind me of my favourite robot from the original robot wars series, Wild Thing so it's ok by me haha. I plan to make the front face plates look a little less generic.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (200.46 KiB) Viewed 8961 times
botomatic1000

Post by botomatic1000 »

I love it 8) real classy looking retro flipper.
Ethan Wall KINGS HEATH COLLIDERS
Current Robots: Sprat Bait: The worst 150g Wedge ever built...
Elysium 1.4: Antweight Undercutter, built by Team Riptide, Brummie glass cannon edition!
Barracuda: Beetleweight Vert... hates working...
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Righting from the side is quite difficult to do reliably.
You have to spend a long time getting the shape and weight distribution correct and then you end up with something the shape of RONNY... :)
Alternatively you can try adding a boss sticking out from close to the rim of each wheel. These then act as a cam to lever the robot over if it is stuck on its side.
Both these solutions increase the overall width of the robot somewhat which may cause a problem fitting in the cube.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

I got it down on the previous version, with a couple pieces of polycarb (superglued on, big mistake) it would flip itself back over every time. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work with the new improved version. I'll have a mess around with it tomorrow.
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

Your team is coming together rather quickly! Another fantastic looking bot. :evil:
Luke H - Team Bandit
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Thanks, I turned the fin upside down on the robot so it can right itself from any angle, as a bit of clever driving rolls in
T onto its back where it springs back into its wheels. Also aluminium came today so I played around with a front scoop. At the minute I have a narrow square of aluminium on the flipper, but I also plan for interchangeable front scoops.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

So Oni II is all finished now. The flipper's a little unreliable, but I've figured out how to make it work as well as it should. There are currently two front flipper blades, a narrow one, and the large front scoop on the robot in the image. I also plan to make a second scoop from titanium, but I think that will be a little more difficult.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (154.6 KiB) Viewed 8837 times
Glad it's finished, I'll see what I can do next.