Suggestions on a Weapon for BB-8 Droid?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

altapowderdog

Suggestions on a Weapon for BB-8 Droid?

Post by altapowderdog »

Hi guys! I've built myself a BB-8 droid which I plan to enter into combat. I know it's not going to be effective- it makes manyyy sacrifices for the look. However, the important internals are at least quite high off the ground, and the robot will work fine even if the sphere gets penetrated. I'll add a support wire to keep the head from flying off at the first hit.

Here's what I'm working with: https://youtu.be/zgcmTkGwUSA

Gyroscopic forces might make it unable to turn, so as awesome as having a BB-8 wielding a big vertical disk would be, I probably can't do it. So with that in mind, I was considering adding a spatula appendage to the "growth" mounting point. When the robot runs into an obstacle, the sphere stops moving, and the internals rotate instead. This will cause the spatula to rotate upwards once the robot is blocked from driving forward, as it'd be tied with the internals. If I significantly improve the traction of the sphere, it just might be enough to let the robot push an opponent into the wall, and then lift it up once the sphere can't rotate as the robots hit the wall. But there are problems with this idea too- the robot tilts when turning, making it more difficult for a spatula/wedge to work. It's an interesting challenge.

If you were to weaponize a BB-8 Droid, what would you do?
Spaceman

Re: Suggestions on a Weapon for BB-8 Droid?

Post by Spaceman »

Good link and some great ideas here.

Have to get Oaf to have a tussle with it when it's done.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Roboteernat

Re: Suggestions on a Weapon for BB-8 Droid?

Post by Roboteernat »

perhaps a horizontal disk through the lower half... high enough to allow wheels underneath but low enough to hit other bots.
Although when running forward and stopping it could have a tendancy to roll into the floor and that could be fun...
Some projects done: Wirelessly controlled mechanical hand/arm
Heavyweight: Short Circuit
Antweight robot : Locking wheel nuts, dell-apidated bANTtry...
Featherweight : Wanna Choppa, CASPer
Check out http://www.Roboteernat.co.uk for more details