Ofsted/my friendly uncle/I don't know

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Re: Ofsted/my friendly uncle/I don't know

Post by Shakey »

1mm Hardox doesn't exist. The thinnest still made is 3.2mm, a few bits of stray 2mm around.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

That's the 1 things you weren't supposed to say Alex, I had just designed something spectacular
:(

How expensive is 2mm Ti?(weighs about the same)
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

1. Do people think a 3mm titanium rod would hold up as a spinning device and how bendable and/or hingeable or attachable is it

2. Do the rules ban sharing of parts between robots I.e having 2 modular robots and having weapons used on both at some point that day
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)

BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

1. I think you'd need some sort of hub to fit the motor, with a cross-drilling to take the Ti rod. A 3mm Ti rod would probably be strong/stiff enough but it wouldn't have a lot of mass. You'd want a big heavy weight on the end of it! :D

2. There are no rules against sharing parts within a team, but bear in mind that it could give you a common "failure" point in your team. Not quite as bad as having a single (flat/damaged) battery shared between robots but you get the idea...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

I'm looking at having two identical (except colour) bots and having, say 5 different attachments each designed especially to fight a certain type of bot and just pick one for each fight based on what it's fighting.

As for spinner stuff, the spinner would weigh 40g which is plenty, and yes it's goin to be *that* big, my issue will be machining it as I could really do with a 90 degree bend and also I need to hinge it, you can hinge it in a way it goes against the hinge so won't fold back in, so will retain the shape while spinning but I don't know if I can design or buy a hinge that can absorb impact(the hinge would be between about 5-10mm high of a sheet metal and the rod so there will be a bit of an attachment surface)
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)

EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

The rules do not specifically restrict that, but if it was at my event I would not allow it, and I would imagine many would feel the same. I would insist on either having separate attachments for both, or if for example you only had a single spinner attachment, I would make you nominate which robot that "belongs" to, and it would not be able to be used on the other.

I think there's a massive distinction between sharing a component such as a battery or receiver between robots, and sharing an entire interchangeable section.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

Indeed that's why I was asking because I thought there was probably a rule against changing main features between, I had just designed 1 and was considering if I could be lazy enough to get away with duplicating it and not having to make extra weapons as I do not have the budget to make enough for two interchangeables.I might just build 1 inter changeable, test weapons at home and see what I like and take my favourite 1 into a new bot built around that weapon and keep the test bed with all the other weapons interchanging

Hope that mess of characters makes sense to someone or something
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)

BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I agree with Scott, it's not really in the spirit of the rules and I could see several people getting confused/annoyed about it.

No problem with building a test-bed then building a robot around the "best" weapon. Sounds like a great idea!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

Yea, my biggest problem is I have no currently working things and I can only build and purchase things on the weekends and I'm putting so much time towards perfecting the full body spinner design and I have half the parts for a nano lurking around, but I have so much confidence in the spinner that if I can engineer the design to perfection it could be seriously competitive
And it's so intricate it's really not something I can botch, however the rest of my holidays are now happily dedicated to seeing what awesome things you can design only using 1 servo for weaponry
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)

Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

Quick question for anyone who knows, when getting an a 12A (afro) brushless ESC should i get the one with a BEC or one without that has OPTO instead?

(I'm using this motor; http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=61433 , I also intend to use a 2S instead of the recomended 3s as alex said it works fine on 2s)
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)