suvv industries first attempt at an ant

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

haz

Re: suvv industries first attempt at an ant

Post by haz »

Please tell me that isn't held on with elastic bands.
suvv

Post by suvv »

nope....an o-ring so everything will be grand
how hard can it be???
Robots: Optimistic chances of self decimation (ant), Super generic box ant that everyone builds yehhh (ant)
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

An O ring is just a fancy elastic band. The point of a prop saver is that it doesn't rigidly hold the prop. You'll have a hard time getting it balanced and spinning with any real damage.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
suvv

Post by suvv »

it actually got a little bit more to add to it but that pic was more to show some actual progress got a rolling chassis under power working aswell atm im having difficulty bending the polycarb as i dont have an effective heat source
how hard can it be???
Robots: Optimistic chances of self decimation (ant), Super generic box ant that everyone builds yehhh (ant)
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Up to about 1mm it's easiest to cold form polycarb. Otherwise some hot water will soften it a bit. I find when I try to heat it , it usually goes all bendy where I want it to stay straight... :(

A prop-saver really isn't a good idea. It's purpose is to save a fragile plastic/CF prop from breaking when it hits something by coming off the motor. This is the last thing you want for a weapon! You need a strong mechanical joint between the motor's rotor and the bar to transfer energy to your opponent - to smash/throw them! :)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
suvv

Post by suvv »

i got 2mm polly....im guessing im going to have fun with that
how hard can it be???
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I always used to cold bend it in a vice with brute force (taking about five years off my life in the process) but then the thickest I had was 1.5mm...it might be worth getting some thinner stuff if time starts to become an issue (2mm can a little bit overkill in my (limited) experience anyway!).
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

1.5mm polycarb cold folds fine. 2mm also cold folds ok, but i usually warm it with a lighter first to give it a bit of extra flex. If you're talking about mounting the bar to the motor using 2mm polycarb, then that should be fine; i use 1.5mm to hold Why Wait's blade on. Just bolt a bit of polycarb to either side the bar and then put the prop saver bolts through the polycarb. Just have to make sure it's balanced correctly.
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
suvv

Post by suvv »

will try bending it again tomorow
how hard can it be???