Controversial Completion of a Cluster

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

AntRoboteer

Controversial Completion of a Cluster

Post by AntRoboteer »

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone would mind if I used the base of a small rc car (heavily modified and barely recognisable) to complete my cluster which has become a bit too heavy on one side! The idea is to be able to enter that robot in my full team of 3 antweights by entering it as a cluster but at the same time, I do not want to upset anyboday by doing this. I would be happy to attempt to make a tiny cluster partner but somehow, I don't think I'll squeeze a robot into 50g with a 15g NiMH battery, a 15g switch, a 5g receiver and 2 9g servos at my disposal. This is not so if both "proper" robots drive off, I am still through. This is only so I can enter an ant which is too low in weight to be an ant but too heavy to be a flea.

Thanks everyone!
Shakey

Re: Controversial Completion of a Cluster

Post by Shakey »

15g switch? What are you using for that? that's a huge amount of weight.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

I thought around 15g was quite light for a receiver switch. The one in AntWithTopHat is 23g so I really do wonder what I was thinking with that one! Do you (or does anybody else) know of any decent, light switches that suit Futaba plug batteries that are also rather inexpensive? I may use HXT500s but in my experience, they have always worked for everyone but me and both of the ones I bought fail after about 1-2 hours of use and need the potentiometer adjusting. However, I could use fixed resistors (does 2 2.2k resistors sound OK for this?) and remove the glue on the pot. I have a hunch that the pot is moving regardless of the amount of glue on there! What do you all think about this? I may be able to do this without the RC car but it is still a possibility. Thanks guys!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

As long as the cluster is 2 (or 3 or however many botlets) robots that are separate from the other 3 entries, then they can be any size or weight, providing when weighed in together they don't go over the weight limit. As long as you use a small remote car that has at least 2 frequencies that it can operate on, then there is no reason you can't use that as the second part of your cluster. I've done stuff like that before in the past and it's well within the rules.
So, as long as your light ant and your car weigh in together at 150g and can go in the cube together, and have the ability not to clash with anyone else's frequencies, then you can enter it as a clusterbot and it can take up your 4th team spot.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

AntRoboteer wrote:I thought around 15g was quite light for a receiver switch. The one in AntWithTopHat is 23g so I really do wonder what I was thinking with that one! Do you (or does anybody else) know of any decent, light switches that suit Futaba plug batteries that are also rather inexpensive?
Just to double check, are we talking power switch here? If so I just use one of these (http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/double-pole-miniature-fh36p) and cut the positive cable on wire from the plug that connects to the battery and put this in instead. At most 2-4g of weight. You can buy them cheaper elsewhere. Use some tape/heatshrink/hotglue to insulate the terminals once done and you're set :D
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Thanks very much. The completion of the cluster is looking possible now. I have used a honeycomb-like structure in cardboard to half the weight of the armor while still making it surprisingly strong.

Dave - Thanks for the info on frequency clashing. I had forgotten about that with all this 2.4ghz gear about!
Shakey - Of course! I had totally forgotten about conventional switches! I could solder one in if it came down to it which could save a lot of weight. Thanks!

The driver of the partner wants it to be a robot which could also win the FWS. Not likely if it weight 55g and is made of cardboard so maybe a whole new robot made of really light parts? I shall keep you all updated. Thanks everyone!
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Hi all,

I was wondering if the Turnigy 1440A 4.4g servo was any good for a 360 mod.
The link is here: http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/st ... ouse_.html

Also, same question with the Turnigy TS531A 3.7g servo and the TS541A (do they have a standard JR plugs by the way?).
The links are here: http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/st ... ouse_.html
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/st ... ouse_.html

I really do not mind about any speed hacking, I just want a standard, long lasting drive servo.

Has anybody has any experience with these servos? Can I just glue the pot in place or will I need resistors?

Also, does anybody know another good, cheap source of OrangeRx R400 receivers as Hobbyking are out of stock and eBay is REALLY expensive!

Thanks!
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I can't see any reason why you couldn't 360 mod these, but I would recommend against using these for drive servos. They are very small and lacking power. You certainly wouldn't have much luck speed hacking them. I would say go for an sg90 or something similar.

Having said that, I use one in Duff to activate the valve and it's never failed running on 2s lipo, so seems quite reliable.
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Thanks for your advice Rhys but unfortunately, while you are spot on about SG90s being great drive servos (use them in almost every robot and their strange cousin, the SG92R which is actually quite good), I cannot fit two into the weight allowance available.

Does anybody know if the gear arrangement is the same or similar to an SG90 or SG50 because I have 360 modified both in the past with quite a high success rate!

By the way Rhys, which one of the three do you use in Duff to activate the valve because I would be interested in using those for my drive.

And also, has anybody seen any OrangeRx R400 or similar DSM2 receiver cheap anywhere because £8.99 per receiver from eBay is a bit much for me! Does anybody know anything about these strange Redcon Spektrum receivers and/or has had any experience with them?

Here is an example of one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Redcon-AR621E ... 4182ac9f0e

Thanks for your help everyone!
haz

Post by haz »

How is £4.64 for you. Just have to wait till they are in stock. They go fast also.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=53812

2 sg50s directly wired to a RX with a single lipo cell powering them should be so light it needs tethering down lest if float away.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=28409

i've had a drivetrain running with a couple of these if its any use.