Team Hell Build Diaries

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

razerdave

Team Hell Build Diaries

Post by razerdave »

Hey Guys

About time I had one of these :)

Ok, so, things have been busy at the Team Hell Workshop lately, both with my own projects and other peoples robots, so I thought I'd keep a diary of all the things I'm building, working on, and all other Team Hell related gubbins :)

Fleas

Divinity:
Not much has changed on Divinity in recent times, but the way it was driving was annoying me, so after some careful observation in the way it moved, I discovered my hap-hazard cutting of the front skid was levering one wheel fractionally off the ground, which made steering very problematic. A slight adjustment with the dremel and the steering has improved dramatically, so expect better fights from it :)
Planned improvements:
Full Rebuild into a vertical spinner

Little Devil
After a few years of being (some may say successfully) bodged together, LD is getting a full rebuild in 3d printing, with (hopefully) a Ti-tipped flipper that actually does the flipping rather than a feeble lift :). Pictures to come soon.

Ants

Stewie:
Not really any improvements planned for Stewie ATM, but I am hoping some adjustments to the controller soon will change the reliability issues it has had recently

Baby Hell:
After a bit of a disastrous fight with DBA at Portsmouth (Thanks Tim), BH required a new chassis and a new axe controller, kindly built for me by Rory Mangles :).
Planned Improvements: the scoop geometry will change to try and make it easier for BH to get underneath its opponents, but there is a plan to change the general concept of Baby Hell, but it's proving hard to do.

Bulletproof:
After a bit of a kicking at the last AWS, Bulletproof will be getting a rebuild to go back to being a DAD robot, complete with a new kid-friendly transmitter, meaning no more clunky 40MHz gear. Taking his place in my full combat team....

Baphomet:
Meet the newest member of the team :)

It's powered by 4, 50:1 Pololu HP motors with custom, doubled up Pololu 32mm hubs, running on 7.4v and a pair of fingertech controllers. The brushless in the front is an 18mm diameter outrunner, which will have a small, laser cut hardox drum on it soon.
It should have a spinner scoop for the front, but it does mean removing the drum mech, but better than getting smashed up :)

Updates will be added for all my other projects (listed below) as they come to the fore:
Kick In The Teeth (Drive all day Ant)
Ant arena
Hell's Angel (FW)
Satanix (FW)
Zuul (HW)
Headbanger (BW)
plus other to come
Shakey

Re: Team Hell Build Diaries

Post by Shakey »

Baphomet is one awesome looking bot! I look forward to meeting it in the arena :D
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Got to say I'm impressed. Always worried about you getting that one in weight but there it is. Great looking thing.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Very impressive.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
playzooki

Post by playzooki »

cool.
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

will the new ant arena be used at robot wars events? baphomet is looking awesome by the way!
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

The arena is basically upgrades to my current one, although I may resurface it as well, it's getting a bit sloppy in there.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hey guys
Ok, here's the thing. I've had 2 disc laser cut for Baphomet, and it turns out, despite the cad, the discs just slide over the barrel of the motor with a little movements up and down as well. I'm not keen of putting glue on there (as has been suggested), so I was thinking either some manner of shim or grub screws. Problem with the latter is balancing it. Any suggestion about this would be appreciated, and info on where to get shim if I need it.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

razerdave wrote:Hey guys
Ok, here's the thing. I've had 2 disc laser cut for Baphomet, and it turns out, despite the cad, the discs just slide over the barrel of the motor with a little movements up and down as well. I'm not keen of putting glue on there (as has been suggested), so I was thinking either some manner of shim or grub screws. Problem with the latter is balancing it. Any suggestion about this would be appreciated, and info on where to get shim if I need it.
Grub screws are fine if you have a pillar drill. Just line it up centrally and drill straight through in one go and tap. I did this on a HDPE hub I balanced by spinning on a fake speed 900 using a file to round it :P Still was balanced!

Shims aren't really ideal at this sortof size I feel. How far out is it from fitting?
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
haz

Post by haz »

laser cutting is not accurate enough for bores esp in thick stuff. TBH I would just glue it. Also how bad is the taper?