A Quick Hello

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Rapidrory

Re: A Quick Hello

Post by Rapidrory »

I suppose an advantage of a sabertooth is that it's available now :P Plus, if you ever wanted to build a Beetleweight in the future, you could probably get away with a sabertooth in that :L

Any idea what sort of robot you're thinking of building (pusher, flipper, etc)?
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

First one will prob be a pusher with possible lifter. Something like the battlebot Vlad the impaler to with an option to run upsidedown if i can engineer it.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Yeah, getting a good chassis within the weight limit is always a pain if you're hand building them (unless you 3D print them like some people do; sometimes they end up about 30g underweight :roll: ).

Polycarbonate, HDPE, or aluminium seem to be the popular choices for hand building things, though some people use titanium, which is expensive and not the easiest to machine. One thing that'd be interesting to try for a cheap ant is using the thin HDPE from a plastic milk bottle as armour, as it's pretty tricky to pierce and light.
The usual tactic is to have some strong and spinner proof armour at the front, and then have the rest weaker and lighter to save weight; then you just have to make sure spinners only hit your front :L
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

that's deffinitely a good armour tactic. another is to have a low front scoop or slope. spinners have trouble gripping sloped faces and it gives you the advantage of being able to catch your opponent and driving right in underneath them restricting their movement and giving you an easier opportunity to push them around or out the arena. :wink:
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I can recommended Peter Waller's board for a beginner. Built in receiver, and a port to plug in a weapon servo for easy peasy operations. Plus he's great.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

seconded, never had a bad board from pete! :)
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Unfortunately Pete won't sell to non-AWS competitors, but once you've competed you're good :).
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Hello

So the post man cheerfully dropped a horde of parcels into my house just now. I have everything I think I need to build my first not except the receiver and the battery charger, both of witch are on order.

An initial weigh in of bits suggests I'm up to 80g so far. That sabertooth is indeed a beast in this weight class.

A less technical question. Do you generally name your robots before, during or after construction?

And same question for team names.

Rich
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I don't think that's a question that I've ever heard asked before :P.

Personally, I always just think of words that I think sound cool (Void, Zenith, Flux, Entropy) and apply them to robots which seem to fit the name. Others name their robots after something they can do; naming a grabber after an animal with a powerful bite, for example. Some just name their robots with whatever comes to mind.

Then there's Dave Lawrie. I don't know for certain, but I think he gets his names from an ancient text called the Daveonomicon, and each is carefully designed to strike confusion and disarray in his opponent's minds.

I generally have names for my robots planned before I build them as I've got a pretty good idea of what they'll look like when they're completed, but if you were building in a more trial-and-error fashion I could understand waiting to see what the final product looked like before naming it.

As for teams, it's pretty much the same deal. Choose something that either sounds cool or reflects you and/or your robots in some way. "Team Spaceman" seems perfectly valid to me :P.

If you're asking because you can't think of names, don't worry; something will come to you ^^.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Just was checking the eticicete.

Ahem

my team shall be "team 1202"

Points if you know the space reference to 1202

Was thinking Mastodon for my first bot as it will prob be heavy and lumbering. There's also a progressive metal band by that name and I hope it will last as long as their songs.

The chances however of it being covered in brown fur are slim...
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)