Another New Antweight..

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

earthwormjim

Re: Another New Antweight..

Post by earthwormjim »

I reckon if you drilled about 1000 holes through the 10mm, you might get it in weight Rory !!!!
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Quick vid of playing with the pneumatics (running on butane still)

https://youtu.be/IRON_ElwRdo
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Been a while since I've done any work on ants as I've been getting ready for the heavyweight world champs. But seeing as most of the work on that is done I can get back to putting some time into ants. This is what I've got in the works:

This design's actually been on the cards a while, as Bully's always had a surprising amount of weight spare before thickening up the armour and adding bigger batteries etc. However seeing as Alex has revealed his latest plans, I felt it was time for this one to be put into production.
The servo for the lifter is a bit on the small size due to weight and space limitations, but it's more there just to give a cm or two of lift just to aid pushing (which is what I do with Bully most of the time anyway), so it should still be adequate. Also running smaller wheels to help keep them tough while keeping the weight down, and should stress the motors a bit less. It doesn't need to be invertible now either so big wheels are unnecessary.
All the components together are about 120g, which gives me 30g for the chassis... Doesn't sound like much, but the chassis for Bad Idea is only 25g and that has much greater forces through it, so this should be fairly manageable.

Looking forward to having some ceiling fights next term :)
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Guess I need to go with my backup plan of putting an EDF in the new Void after these recent posts :roll:
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Yeah, doesn't look like many fun times on the horizon in the old antweight camp...
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Oh, what, really? Another EDF? Great. Time for a redesign of...um...everything for me I guess. :( Maybe the new GiANT will have something for you to think about... :D

Looks good though. Should have quite a bit of power. Unfortunately for the rest of us, that isn't a good thing. :D
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

EDF's are slow because they are stuck to the floor so maybe Dave some large sharp rotating objects could find they're way around the back and re unite themselves with the polycarbonate and the wheels (:
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Occashokka wrote:EDF's are slow because they are stuck to the floor so maybe Dave some large sharp rotating objects could find they're way around the back and re unite themselves with the polycarbonate and the wheels (:
They're only slow if you don't balance the throttle right, one of my old EDF's could still move well under full fan. Kept it half most the time as the batteries wouldn't have lasted and it drive like a normal robot.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

EDFs are dull. The desire to win is creating a fleet of them and it removes a lot of the fun for me. New robot posts used to be met with genuine excitement and enthusiasm but these ones are just...oh goodie. We'll see how the next AWS turns out but I'm not really looking forward to it much. Next year might be time to move into something different.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

A simple long shift axe bot could in theory beat all the EDF 's currently out there, unfortunately, it probably wouldn't be that effective against anything else, so how about a long shaft axe bot to beat edf' 's, but also with an EDF to handle everything else! Mua ha ha ha ha! (evil laugh!).