Another New Antweight..

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: Another New Antweight..

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

There's just something about it that other spinners don't have. I think its a stability thing (strangely). I think its the only spinner I'm scared of.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Well on a somewhat related note, albeit not antweight, I spent the day building Bad Idea's bigger brother 'First Left' (the design is similar to that of 'Last Rights')

This is a beetleweight I've been working on over the last few weeks ahead of the upcoming UK championship; it terrifys me, let alone anyone else :L
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
haz

Post by haz »

Rites.

Anyway. So that's where lynx's stuff went eh. Sweet. What's the thickness of the hdpe frame and how you getting on with the mill?
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Yup, picked it up off Sam 2 weeks ago and ran it in the original chassis at Stevenage; it threw itself against a wall so hard it bent the chassis (but was ripping big curls of steel out of the arena wall before hand), so I've gutted it and fitting the parts in something which is hopefully more solid. It's all 8mm HDPE, and it seems tough enough for the job.

The mill's working great; It cleaned up very nicely and I'm trying to collect/ make tools and clamps for it atm. I'm slowly getting the hang of using it (Youtube tutorials are a blessing :L ), but it's still weird having parts which are properly machined rather than hacked together with hand tools :L
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

terminaldamage

Post by terminaldamage »

When I saw First Left on the list of entries I didn't really get the name, but now it makes total sense :P

Are you still using the brushless from Lynx? Just wondering as the chassis looks a little short height-wise for it.
Jamie McHarg
RogueTwo Robots
www.rogue-two-robots.vze.com

With great power, comes great reliability.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Yup, same 1 horsepower brushless :L It's just gonna mount to that milled out section and stick out the top a mile! Just have to hope it doesn't end up upside-down :L
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Last weekend I decided to have a crack at rebuilding Skutter to be more competitive and more reliable. After a week of mostly waiting for parts to arrive, I finally got it all together today, only to find that it was 15g overweight! After much drilling and cutting I've got it down to 228g, but will attempt to shave off the last 3 before the AWS. Here's where I've got to now:

It's certainly more competitive; still got a good flip, but doesn't get stuck on it's back. The walking mechanism's not quite as fast but still keeps a good speed.
As for more reliable, sadly not so far. The walking mechanism currently jams up just as regularly as the old one, and now the gearbox for the flipper also jams up periodically. If I can improve the reliability and get it in weight it should be quite good though.

This will be taking Slice's place in the AWS.. Makes me slightly sad as just got Slice working well, however I felt I should stop pushing the cluster rule with Scrat and actually do something to earn that 4th spot :L
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Remote-Controlled Dave

I approve of this.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Thought you might :L

Had a few quick test fights against 'You should probably just leave', and whilst the flip was very effective, I found the walking to be painfully slow in combat. I'm going to try make some bigger cams and see if that helps. If not I'll see if I can replicate the old walking mechanism, as that relied on leverage to get a longer and smoother gait, however it is quite tall so may mess with the self righting.
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Remote-Controlled Dave

At least you have a back up plan
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39