Another New Antweight..

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Rapidrory

Re: Another New Antweight..

Post by Rapidrory »

Ok, so now all my ants are more or less finished (a few switches, name stickers etc. still left to fit), I feel it's time I did some proper introductions. I won't do Lionel, Mr Burns or Smidge as I've already done posts on them recently

Nuts

This is my fleaweight spinner-flail thing. There've been a few vague pictures floating around but haven't done a formal introduction yet. I built it a while ago out of a pringles tin when I was supposed to be getting ready for a night out :roll: . Almost completely useless but very comical. It's regularly the source of many 'Nuts' based puns/ innuendoes, intentional or otherwise :P

Chocolate Bot

Chocolate Bot isn't new, but on realising I had a space left in my antweight team I decided to rebuild it so complies with the rules. So it's been slimmed down by an inch, and an internal 1mm polycarbonate skeleton has been fitted to afford it some structural integrity.

Tinny

Again, I've posted about Tinny before, but this time it's been upgraded so it actually works. As mentioned in my previous post I've put it together as something for my brother to drive. It only weighed 94g, so I've added a large chunk of 2mm steal to the back to try and get some extra grip. Still only 120g though and not much space for more steel...

Flail Whale

This is my new strimmer style spinner. The flails fold over and slot into the aluminium hub for the start of the fight so it fits in the cube. Once the motor spins up they're deployed. Was only 100g when I'd finished it, so added 2mm stainless steel and a whole load of extra weights to bring it up to 150g in an attempt to get some control. It's not too bad now, although definitely lives up to it's name if you go full throttle on the spinner!

BullyDozer

This is one I put together over the weekend to fill a slot on my team. It's just a 4WD lifter, but is actually a lot of fun and definitely lives up to it's name when fighting my other robots; It just rolls them all straight over :) It's made from folded 1mm polycarbonate with sheet steel on the front to bring the weight up a bit/ to add some sparks when fighting spinners :P Still needs a little work on tidying up the electronics etc but otherwise is mostly done.
I love using 1mm polycarbonate as it can be cut with scissors and folded like stiff cardboard. It won't stand up too well to a direct spinner hit, but it won't break and is very light. It's great for just throwing robots together quickly and without too much design work.

So that's all my new robots. I'm gonna have Choclate Bot, Flail Whale, BullyDozer and Lionel-Smidge Custer as my Antweight team, and Nuts as my Fleaweight. I'm not clustering Smidge with Flail Whale any more as Smidge would probably just get annihilated straight away :P
I now have a total of 8 functional robots.. Considering I was only introduced to the sport last November, I think that's pretty good going :)
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Totes amazeballs
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

cool robots bud! i especially like the ones with the spinning flail weaponry. i don't think we see that sort of thing very often. tinny looks cool too. :P
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Hogi wrote:... i especially like the ones with the spinning flail weaponry. i don't think we see that sort of thing very often.
I'm starting to feel that there may be a good reason for that, but we'll have to see how it goes :L
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Remote-Controlled Dave

It'll be interesting if it gets drawn up against one of those spindly 3D printed robots with not much armour. Will probably just wrap itself around them.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Sounds like the judges for the AWS will have to brush up on the entanglement rules...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

2f) The following weapon types are not permitted:
- Fluid based weapons (treacle guns, etc.)
- Glue or sticky pad weapons
- String or entanglement weapons
- Flame based weapons
- The use of electricity as a weapon
- Explosive weapons
- Rotating weapons that may shatter (as opposed to breaking off)
- Magnetic/inductive systems
On the plus side they are wire and not string but how you decide if the are partly about entanglment or not I don't know.
My spinner Anticyclone went out in the last AWS entangled in a tyre which is obviously not an entanglement weapon so where do you draw the line.
The flame thrower is an easier call.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Entanglement weapons are designed to entangle, like nets and sticky tape and silly string and things. Rory's flail is designed to whip and damage the opponent the same way as a disc like Peter's, and it isn't designed TO cause entanglement. I would say this is the difference. If we start banning all weapons that "may become entangled" then all spinning discs would be out, and things like wiring would even have to be questioned :roll:
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

this discussion might be worth broadening in the rules debate 2014 section. to be honest, i don't think theres much chance of a noticeable entanglement from a weapon that moves so fast.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Robot Wars had the "no entanglement weapons" rule from day one yet always let in chain flails (Mace, Caliban, Whirling Dervish etc)
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39