My first robot

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

razerdave

Re: My first robot

Post by razerdave »

I would also say they are a bit suspect at times. I have had 3 burn out on Stewie, 1 was purely my fault. I have also had 2 burn out on 6v on another persons robot that I built. First one may have been stalling but the second I think was over-use (Leo has apparently been playing with it almost non stop:)).

In their defence, my current one (in Stewie) has lasted the last 6 World Series and numerous demos.
petec

Post by petec »

Duff wrote:
petec wrote:BTW the GWS HPFX Park flyer servo is no longer being produced so if you've got the, take care of them.
Where did you hear this? They're out of stock on Hobby King at the moment, but they say they;ll be back in stock in 30-45 days.
I couldn't find them in stock anywhere so enquired with a couple of regular suppliers that I trust and they confirmed they were discontinued. Hobby King generally supply Chinese copies of other servos, so they may be getting something made up but as far as I can ascertain the GWS ones are no more.

BTW this is not unusual in the RC market. Seemingly popular components just get stopped!

Regarding the burnouts of servos, fair enough but I've supplied hundreds of servos over the years and failure rates on some are substantially lower than others. Don't forget, we are HORRIBLE to servos and use them in ways that were never intended so we have to expect some loss. :-)
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

The one I currently have in Cosmos came from HK, and I have to say it seems very much like the real deal. If it's a knock-off, it's very good quality, I would highly recommend them. They still have a few for sale on proto-pic.co.uk, so I may have to do some panic buying!

If you're looking for reliable though, the Corona DS929HV is rated for 7.4v and will take abuse all day long. I'm even debating seeing if the control boards could run a Pololu HP motor, as they would be cheaper than a proper speed controller.
Jordanmann

Post by Jordanmann »

I'm so happy I'm going to get the last of my things for my robot today I can finally start building it :D
Jordanmann

Post by Jordanmann »

This is it so far
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (5.92 KiB) Viewed 8872 times
haz

Post by haz »

Image is a bit small. Maybe try uploading your photos to somewhere like Photobucket then resizing them and copying the IMG onto here.
Well done though, does it drive yet?
Jordanmann

Post by Jordanmann »

bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Looks great :D If your going for a flipper though, consider moving the weapon servo further back so as to maximise the length of the arm. If you do it right you'll end up with a flipper as opposed to a lifter which is always more fun :)
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Jordanmann

Post by Jordanmann »

Haha I though the same about the arm and swaped the servo with the batteries so the servo is now right at the back :D
I've made a card version on the robot to show the shape of the finished robot the arm seams to raise the flipper pretty high
Jordanmann

Post by Jordanmann »

I came up with a name for my robot it's called Capricorn is that a ok name?