Team Aggregat

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Rhys

Team Aggregat

Post by Rhys »

I've been meaning to create one of these threads for myself for a while, so on the eve of an AWS seemed like the perfect time. :D

In what must be record time for me, all ants are finished before 9pm the night before an AWS. I'm just in the middle of accetating them up and writing the names on, and then I can start packing them away for tomorrow. This is probably the most prepared I've been before an event, so know my luck it bound to all go wrong! :P

Starting from the left on the top row, we have:

Duff - Pneumatic flipper, has been completely overhauled since last AWS, after it broke down in many different ways. Wheels should now not fall off randomly (I said should...), and hopefully it will hold 100psi for a little while at least. Last time it couldn't even get to 100psi as the leaks were so awful. Also fully resoldered the boards as loose connections caused it to go mad previously.

Cosmos - Almost exactly the same as the last event, only a few minor changes. 30:1HP motors have been ditched for 50:1HP motors, so it shouldn't be so quick and cause such idiotic arena exits. The wheels have been replaced for slightly smaller Lego wheels, and the armour is now held in place with slightly beefier bolts.

Warhorses - As they always get trashed by spinners, I gave up on 3D printing Warhorses, and have gone for 4mm and 1.5mm HDPE instead. Hoping that keeping it simple will pay off.

The Mole - Again, keeping it simple, I've gone for 6mm HDPE with 4 x 30:1HP motors. Ground clearance is worryingly low....

Bottom Row (The fleas)

Cyklos - 2000kv motor spinning a (spectacularly wobbly) 12g disc. I firmly expect it to destroy something, probably itself....

Shatner's Bassoon - Pusher bot made from Randar's old drive servos, which don't have much life in them. Running on 1s lipo as two cells were too fat to make it invertable.

Quark - Using spares from the first incarnation of Warhorses, is very nippy and has some good pushing power. Although the axe is as good as useless. Total cost of all the bits in this flea, when brand new, is just a smidge over a tenner.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: Team Aggregat

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Good looking team Rhys. Can't wait to see them all in action. It's going to be a good event!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Not too much to update since the last AWS. The only change of any note is that I've fitted a new ram to Duff. It's finally working as I'd like. Mind you, I always say that before every AWS, and it's always a spectacular failure...

http://youtu.be/wnN5JAbW_TI
haz

Post by haz »

Love it!
malivoirec

Post by malivoirec »

Dammit, just when I thought I got Inertiant's flipper looking good, another one outdoes it. :evil:
Fortune cookie says: Pain is meerly a feeling;
unless its PERMANANT FOREVER.

Fortune cookie no.2 says: Take heed of
Last cookie
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Inertiant has a flipper?? :P
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
malivoirec

Post by malivoirec »

Yes, its the big flappy thing on the front that waves to the crowd as the opposition whizzes by.
Fortune cookie says: Pain is meerly a feeling;
unless its PERMANANT FOREVER.

Fortune cookie no.2 says: Take heed of
Last cookie
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Not sure why I started this thread as I'm too lazy to build any new robots, let alone take pictures of them. So I thought I'd stop being lazy and post some info on my newest antweight I have in the works. Continuing the laziness theme it's going to be very similar to Randar, but the disc is going be be bigger (85mm diameter and 20g as opposed to Randar's 60mm 10g disc), it's going to be on 11.1v instead of 7.4v. Also, the motor is 1600kv instead of 1080kv. It's also got better weight distribution and a stronger chassis. No self-righting servo though, sadly. So hopefully much more smashy-smashy than Randar currently gives.

The new version of pneumatic flipper Duff is also in the works, it's not nearly as tall and boxy as the old one. Let's hope it works though. Warhorses is also being turned into a walker, but I'll post more info on that when it's nearer completion.

daveimi

Post by daveimi »

You have an impressive collection of ants! Erm...just a random question, is your tiny pneumatic ram a lego one? It looks like my technic one lol :) If so that's an awesome idea.
haz

Post by haz »

Curious as to why lots of small holes in the base. Why not just have a shallow pocket? Should remove about the same weight and look nicer than a lot of holes. Will also stop crud getting through the base. Just a thought. Also I'd be worried about those long spikes at the front. Just extending the polycarb (I assume) armour forward and cutting it into much the same shape should do the same job and be stronger.

Very nice design though. Me likey :)