Antweight bits for beginners

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Re: Antweight bits for beginners

Post by BeligerAnt »

A board from an HS81 will work - at least for a while. As Dave says, they don't really like 7.4V. Also they get rather overworked driving 12mm gearmotors continuously. Can't really recommend them, but would probably be OK for this weekend if it's all you have to hand.

The better bet is to use the board from a "standard" size servo. It doesn't need to be anything special - the cheapest you can find in your local model shop/ebay. They can generally handle 7.4V and the 12mm gearmotors without too many problems.

You generally don't get such good control as a proper ESC. but they're good enough for antweights - at least at my level of driving skill! :) Of course, they are *much* cheaper than the Scorpion Mini or Fingertech solutions...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

As it happens I was given a large quantity of S3003 servos for free (Thanks Ian Lockhart), and they are suitable enough for the slightly higher voltage. Would you like me to resistor a few and send them out?
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Any chance I could take a couple of those Dave? Can you resistor some up before Saturday?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Don't see why not :)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Thanks bud. Nice to know I can still get something from a thread called "Antweight bits for beginners" :P
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hey folks.

Ok, I was wiring up a few boards earlier on, and the boards are not doing as they should do. They are older boards than the ones I modded for someone else but with the same resistors, that should make no difference ?
The ones that I have done before, they have the mixing in the robot, not on the TX, and the trims are dead center and the motors are still. The ones I were testing today, the TX has mixing in-built. Should that affect it ?
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I have come across some servo boards where the zero point is not actually the mid-point of the pot' travel :( It could be something to do with mixing, but I don't think so. More likely to do with the design of the servo.
I fixed it by putting the pot' back, getting the trim right then measuring the actual resistances, then replacing the pot' with the appropriate fixed resistors. Easy enough as long as you have a good stock of resistors to choose from...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt