Epic Robotics

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

EpicentrE

Epic Robotics

Post by EpicentrE »

Well, since everyone else has one of these fancy threads, I wanted one too!

Firstly, hi! For those of you who don't know me, my name's Scott/EpicentrE, and I've been building ants for around 9 years now, with a few breaks along the way. I like to put a huge amount of thought into my robots, and usually spend an age refining designs over a long period of time before actually getting round to building anything. I also never like taking the simple option, meaning I quite often end up with something too complicated that doesn't perform as it should, but I enjoy that challenge. I love pushing boundries, thinking outside the box (cube?) and seeing what I can achieve within the constraints of the class.

Meet the most recent versions of my two main robots, Void and Zenith: (click for supersized versions!)

ImageImage

You can read more about them, and their previous versions, on my brand spanking new website at http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk

For those of you who know me, it's great to be back, and for those of you who don't, I look forward to meeting you. I hope to see you all at events very soon :).
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
razerdave

Re: Epic Robotics

Post by razerdave »

Very Nice site scott :)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Mmmm....Zenith
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

Damn, I must attend a AWS again soonish. Robots are looking awesome...
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I've started work on Void 8, here are a couple of terrible quality pictures from my phone. I'm building a 'custom servo' using a Pololu HP motor and potentiometer controlled by a Baby Orangutang, which was looking quite impressive, but I was seeing how far I could push it and broke part of the printing, so I need to re-order the part before I can carry on.

ImageImage

And I've finally gotten round to ordering the parts for a new version of EP, my flea, which I've had designed for a few years now. As there's so many people building fleas I didn't want to miss out :).

With a 6.6mm thick chassis and 8mm diameter wheels, I think it might qualify for the thinnest robot ever.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Mmm...pancake flea. Despite my "notorious hatred of 3D printing" :P they are looking awesome.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I have to ask:

Void 8 has 4 wheel drive, but the front ones are much smaller than the rear ones. What ratio are you using for the 2 to get them to run together, so the front isn't fighting the back.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

razerdave wrote:Void 8 has 4 wheel drive, but the front ones are much smaller than the rear ones. What ratio are you using for the 2 to get them to run together, so the front isn't fighting the back.
The back motors are Pololu HP 100:1s on 37.5mm wheels, and the front motors are 30:1s on 12mm wheels. This works out to exactly 1.319m/s each on 12.6v, assuming the published figures are reasonably accurate (and I'm hoping they are)!

I worked it out using my motors spreadsheet on Google Docs, which I think I posted an age ago but has probably got lost on the forums. Anyone may use it for their own calculations if they wish :).
Last edited by EpicentrE on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Holy Cow,Scott!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Scott, does Void actually NEED a flipper? I know you're famously hold backish with the weapon, and I think you used it once at the last AWS (not including self righting). I know its a nice feature to have, but could you not do something else with the weight?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39