Deltang Receivers / Controllers

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

EpicentrE

Re: Deltang Receivers / Controllers

Post by EpicentrE »

Sorry for hijacking the thread somewhat, but it is related to Deltang recievers!

I've put a RX31 into Zenith, as I wanted to save a little bit of weight so I could add something to help it self-right. However, I cannot for the life of me get my brushless ESC (Pheonix 10) working on the throttle channel. It works fine on one of the other channels, so I'm sure the ESC isn't the problem. I've tried 2 different RX31's, and have gone through the programming on both to ensure that the settings are correct, but I just can't get the ESC to "arm", which is what it does at the bottom of throttle travel. I've checked the travel of the throttle vs the channel I got it working on (ailerons) on the DX6i's "monitor" screen, and the travel of the throttle channel is about the same, if not slightly more than the ailerons. I've even tried increasing the travel, putting the trims right to the end, binding with throttle up, throttle down, throttle middle, trims in every position, etc. and I just can't get the ESC to arm.

Has anyone experiences any similar woes with the RX31, or does anyone have any idea how I might resolve this?

Thanks in advance.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I haven't experienced this problem and the previous version of combatant had an RX31 driving a brushless controller on the throttle channel.
What I did have problems with was on one of my controllers that had a servo plugged into the throttle channel and altough the servo worked OK the load on the output reduced the output signal enough so my processor didn't see the pulses. I fixed that by a pull up resistor (about 4k7) from the output to the 5 v.
This may not be the same problem but it could be worth a try although I don't know why it should be different from say the aileron output which you say works.
I have just checked the old combatant and the output signal is about 3v.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Pete, you're a lifesaver. Popped a 4k7 resistor between the +5v and the signal wire on the brushless ESC, and bam, worked straight away.

I'm somehow ready for a big event 4 days in advance...this feels strange.

Edit: I also e-mailed the board's designer asking for advice, and had this back:
Hi Scott,
Thanks for buying my receivers and sorry for the problem. The pads for Ch1 and 2 are used for programming the chip and only have weak pullups for creating the high part of PPM pulses. Some ESCs need a stronger highs. I suspect this is the issue. Some options:

1. Use the Tx to make thottle appear on another output. Probably difficult with the Dx6i.

2. I can change the Rx program to swop ports. I'd probably reverse the order of all the pads. You'd have to send your receivers back for the new program to be installed. I live in the UK.

3. I can swop the Rx31 you have for the new version Rx31d. This has a resistor to help pull the port high which is how Spektrum use that port. Disadvantage is the new version is slightly larger.

4. Try a different ESC.

My instinct is to try option 2 next but let me know your thoughts.
Regards, David.
Awesome to know that the customer service is fantastic :). Although he mentions both channels 1 and 2 being used for programming, there's obviously some difference between them, as channel 2 is the aileron on which it worked fine. I guess the thing to do in future is to use the Rx31d for things with brushless controllers, just to be safe. It would also be good to have a list of ESCs that we know do and don't work with the RX31 on the throttle channel.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I am glad it worked out and yes the service provided by David at Deltang both on delivery and help / advice is really great.
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

Im having some trouble with my rx31it was working but it stopped so I binded or bound it again but the motors dont respond, any thoughts?
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Remote diagnosis is always tricky but here are a few things to try.
When you bind the receiver does it go through the correct sequence ending up with the receiver light on contiuously.
If not try rebinding with the transmitter at different distances as the are quite sensitive to signal strength when binding.
Check the 5v supply to the receiver is correct the RX31 is only rated at 6v max so probaly won't survive a 2 cell lithium.
If these are OK can you check each output with a scope is a 1 - 2 ms pulse.
If you cant lay hands on a scope can you hang a servo on each output in turn and see if the receiver can drive them correctly.
If not the receiver is probably brocken if yes it is probably the speed controller that is dead.
Not sure if this is any help but it is all I can think of at the moment.
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

always a help Peter
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Not exactly the right place for this but it is associated with the Rx31 receiver and is is hardly worth a thead of its own.
I have always found it difficult to connect to these as the pads and holes are so small.
I now use the Rx31D receiver which has pads on a 1.27 mm pitch with holes big enough to take a standard header or socket.
They also come in a 10v version if you want it and there is only a very small increase in size.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Apologies for bumping a thread as old as this, however as all of the information contained within it was still relevant, and as it didn't seem logical making a new thread for what I was about to post, I thought it would be acceptable.

Deltang now offer a RX and dual ESC combo. It comes in 9v or 18v versions, can do 3a per channel, and is 18*35*8mm in size You can find it here (scroll down to "Receiver + Daughter Board").

There's also another new product in the RX61, which offers a receiver combined with a single ESC capable of 1.3a at up to 13v. I've talked to David at Deltang and while there's no plans to have a similar daughterboard for this version to add a second ESC, It would be possible to run two of these bound to the same transmitter, or use one of them plus one discrete ESC, which may still be beneficial for certain designs with limited space.