Arenarules

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

earthwormjim

Arenarules

Post by earthwormjim »

3a) All battles must take place in a battle box, regardless of weapons being used in the battle (a minimum of 1mm thick polycarbonate is recommended for indirect contact with the robots. For direct contact, a minimum of 4mm thick polycarbonate is recommended).

3b) The arena will be a raised platform with an area of at least 30 inches (762mm) square.

3c) At least half of the edge of the arena must be unwalled, to allow robots to drop directly into the ditch that surrounds the arena (a recommended height for arena walls is 50mm).

3d) The minimum distance between the edge of the unwalled part of the arena and the battle box (and therefore the width of the ditch) is 150mm.

Hi. :)
Just wanted to clarify something.
1): What are the dimensions of commonly used arenas?Are they 30" x 30"?
2): Rule 3b. "An arena needs to be at least 30" square". Does this mean 90 sq cm? In which case could I make an arena 25cm x 40cm,(100 sq cm)? and it be a leagl arena,as long as the ditches are >15cm?
Thanks alot. :)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: Arenarules

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I don't think anyone would object to that Jim. Arenas are all about the surface on which the fight can take place, and not all arenas are square (Oliver's arena for example, though I always object to its use). Maybe this rule needs rewording? (God forbid we're opening up another rule debate after only just settling the last lot!)
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Thanks Dave. :)
Anyone know the size of say,Peters arena?
I would like to cut a piece of plywood to be able to practice on something the same size.God knows I could do with it! :D
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Dave26 wrote:(God forbid we're opening up another rule debate after only just settling the last lot!)
While we are on the subject... :roll:
IMHO,I think that at least a proportion,if not all of the walled section of an arena should be "walled",ie a 5cm high wall with the appropriate ditch on the other side.And not just part of the battlebox sides.
I do realise that this would possibly,(probably) mean new battleboxes. :( Pushers have the drop offs,spinners have downright destructiveness! But there is no singular advantage to building a flipper/lifter.I think it would bring a new dimension to antweight combat.At the moment,with the current arenas,the only options are to get pushed off the edge or become immobile.I think the ability to be flipped OOTA would be a welcome addition,especially as I have just built a flipper! :wink: :wink:
What do YOU think?
Cheers Jim. :roll:
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

My arena is 90 cms x 92 cms.
I am not sure there will be much support for extra walling on drop off side although I quite like the idea as it helps keep my spinners in plus
http://youtu.be/QAvDGsN-GFg
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Thanks Peter! I will get my jigsaw out. :)
I think the 5cm wall should be on the non drop-off sides,btw.
(although I would vote in favour of having the drop off area reduced to a third,rather than half,but thats another topic,for later on.)
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Also what is the general view on having a steel floor for an arena?

I am considering making an arena for AWS37 and I have enough steel to make one

Personally I wouldn't mind having low walls all the way round or a smaller drop off but I think that is unlikely to happen any time soon.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I wouldn't mind a steel floor at all.

As for a low walled arena, I would like to be able to push out on 2 sides and have to flip out on the other 2, or in any preferred geometry with the same effect, but just larger than Oliver's arena, which I always looked at and thought that is far to small :p
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I must admit, being able to flip robots out of the arena would be fun. I would advise it. Isn't there something in the rules about metal arenas because you can use magnets to increase grip?
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Anoptimistprime

Post by Anoptimistprime »

anybody have anything against a 5mm acrylic arena?
as i can get big peices from work, or if we can use steel or other metal i have a material called diabond which is a metal with a thick foam substance in the middle, very light weight therefore makes it easier to move etc :)

also i can print on both of these materials at work xD
I'm an optimist prime
Not a negatron