Earthwormjim's Stuff

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

mathias

Re: Earthwormjim's Stuff

Post by mathias »

Hi Jim,

It seems like you've standardized on those tires. Did you say they come from kids toys or did you find a source for just the tires?
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Hi mathias.
I really like these tyres. I bought 2 of the toys, 4 tyres on each. I have 4 of the tyres on 23, 2 on Block Head, and the last 2 on the new one.
They are a nice soft compound, it is hard to find a good tyre. They are smaller and thicker and heavier than I'd like ideally, but they are very grippy. I look forward to trying them out in battle to see how they hold up.
They are from kids john deere tractor toys. Unfortunately I have only found them in a shop in Australia.
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

I have found a link to some of the toys, although they are not currently available on the site apparently.
They are John Deere Mini Monster Treads...
https://www.dailysteals.com/p/27645/Joh ... ter-Treads
"Because I like my tyres super bouncy!"
The hubs that come with the toys do not fit gear motors, so new hubs have to be made.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

There are plenty of options for grippy tires out there.. I think it's more the style that's usually lacking from them :L
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Rory is right, there are many easy to use and readily available tried and tested grippy tyre and wheel combos out there.
I like to experiment.Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! I have fun trying out different ideas though!
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

if you're not having fun doing robots, you're doing it wrong :) (also did you change the text in your signature from black to red or have I gone mad?)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

joey_picus wrote:if you're not having fun doing robots, you're doing it wrong :) (also did you change the text in your signature from black to red or have I gone mad?)
I might have! :wink:
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Chassis and disc parts ordered today from shapeways.
Disc has been designed to take 2 x exacto #19 wood chisel knife blades,
and SHOULD weigh in at around 45g, with the blades.

mathias

Post by mathias »

earthwormjim wrote:Rory is right, there are many easy to use and readily available tried and tested grippy tyre and wheel combos out there.
I like to experiment.Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! I have fun trying out different ideas though!
There are, and that's why I ask so I can find other sources. Here in the US, the 150g weight class isn't as popular, so there's less products to choose from. I'm unsure about 3D printing wheels, so I'm always on the lookout for parts sources in case I decide to build a 150g bot.
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Hey, mathias.
If you are going to use the gear motors that most of us use in our antweights, then pololou do quite a few options. The most popular are the 32 x 7 mm wheels listed here. As they are reasonably large, it is advisable to use the slower gear motors (50:1) with them. :)

https://www.pololu.com/category/89/polo ... and-tracks

Hope that helps??