Earthwormjim's Stuff

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

EpicentrE

Re: Earthwormjim's Stuff

Post by EpicentrE »

Is that an Adeptus Mechanicus seal I see on Hellboy, Jim? I always thought a Mechanicus-themed robot team would be cool ^^.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

EpicentrE wrote:Is that an Adeptus Mechanicus seal I see on Hellboy, Jim? I always thought a Mechanicus-themed robot team would be cool ^^.
Yes it is. That would be cool, for sure.
I have a box full of stickers that I have collected over time, and that one seemed to fit well on Hellboy!
Will look better with some AWS battlescars on it!!!
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I didn't know you did 40k; you'll have to post your stuff in off-topic ^^. I was intending to do so once I actually got enough painted for it to be worthwhile.
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Never played, I'm afraid Scott. Just into painting them. Love the detail. Never found anyone as nerdy as me to play properly with! LOL :(
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Hah, I definitely intend to play when I have enough stuff painted, and I know there's a few other roboteers with armies sitting around as well (Andy and Marco). We'll have to have a roboteer's 40k day :P.
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

I have a tiny space marine army , I'd probably adopt tactics of "run away like a mad thing" just like I will if I draw any of your brilliantly crafted machines of death.(if only had some that we could sacrifice to splintering up with blockhead on the slowmo, light plastic vs heavy bar=fun)
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Thanks ! Hopefully it will work on the day and not self destruct and gouge Peters very nice and very shiny new polycarb!!
mathias

Post by mathias »

earthwormjim wrote:Blockhead has a printed stainless steel beater spinny thing on the front, and some Ti panels at the front and rear.
It looks quite controllable so far. The motor is lovely, very smooth. Its an RCX H2206 1950KV. I got it because it has 4 x m3 mounting holes on the back, and 4 x m2 on the front. It will drain the 180mah 2s lipo in around a minute at full tilt, so battles will have to be quick! ( Half throttle seems to be plenty at the mo!)

Blockhead looks really neat! Can you share some more details about what the chassis is made out of and how you made it? (Looks like 3D printing via the powder printer stuff, but I can't be sure from the photo?)
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Thanks mathias.
Blockhead is literally just a 1 piece shell to house the electronics in, and to bolt the armour / weapon / wheels onto. The idea being, the fewer parts there are, the less there is to go wrong? (Well, it works in theory!)
I used Solidworks to design the chassis. Here are a couple of pics. The end phyical result went through a total of 14 redesigns along the way in the software!
The design was then uploaded to Shapeways, and printed in white strong and flexible, I do have a 3d printer at work, but it would require lots of design compromises to enable me to print something like this.
Once I knew everything was going to fit into it,I then painted it using Halfords Ford Electric Orange. ( Great colour, I also used it to paint the dials in my car).
The weapon is again CAD designed, but printed in stainless steel, again from Shapeways.

The armour is .5mm Ti sheet, cut mainly with a pair of kitchen scissors, and then filed to final shape. It is bolted to the chassis using pre designed mount points.
Hope that helps, mathias. If you want any more specifics, just let me know! :)
mathias

Post by mathias »

Thanks earthwormjim! This is really cool to see!

Do you expect any issues from the weapon being made of stainless steel rather than something like hardox? I suppose the benefit is that you can always get more printed.

White, strong, and flexible on Shapeways is white nylon, I think? How does that hold up? I'm guessing better than Makerbot-style PLA filament (which has issues mostly with each layer bonding well enough to actually stay together in an impact, I've found.)