Earthwormjim's Stuff

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: Earthwormjim's Stuff

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

The dual rate switch on my transmitter snapped off, so its now wired into a permanant "high" position. lol. Not always necessarliy a good thing though. When I helped out Rhys driving half of Warhorses, I found it very difficult to drive in the opening few battles. Then I switched it down to low rate and found it much easier to control. I think its a personal preference sometimes. Some robots are still quick enough on a low rate to be a worthy opponent. And, of course, some of the slower robots are still often good performers because they are driven well. Kiwi XL springs to mind.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Dual rates are for wimps! If you can't handle a robot so fast you shouldn't have built one like that .
I realise Dave your coments are somewhat tounge in cheek but rate switches give certain abilities that just choosing slower motors or smaller wheels don't.
For a given speed going backward or forward you get twice as much effect when turning as one side is going one way and the other the opposite direction.
The need for rate on the steering is greater than that on the throttle channel.
I think I have said this before but I have always assumed my driving problems were down to me until Andy couldn't control Defiant when he drove it at the Bristol AWS.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I understand that dual rates have their purpose, but I only really ever use them as a voltage regulator of sorts for my featherweight.
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

After a pretty succesful test at brighton (Nice to see everyone :) ),being driven round by lots of young kids,and still being in one piece at the end. Scarab needs a new name,and as all the youngsters seemed to call it red devil,as it sort of has horns and a red face,I thought I might rename it "Satan",if nobody has any objections (razerdave!). :)
terminaldamage

Post by terminaldamage »

Howsabout 'Beelzebub' or 'Lucifer'?
Or you could go for something less sinister, re-arrange Satan and call it Santa :lol:

If I was to ever change the name of one of my robots, I'd have to grind the paintwork off and re-do the name. I take it that in this case, you just re-print the chassis? :P
Jamie McHarg
RogueTwo Robots
www.rogue-two-robots.vze.com

With great power, comes great reliability.
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

LOL! The name plate is a separate plate that fits into a slot in the chassis,for some reason,whenever I tried to integrate it into the chassis,the text would dissapear,or just parts of it would go missing. So all I need to do is get a new name plate made,and insert it into the slot. :)
I quite liked satan,as it is short,mean,and has ant in it.
Knowing me,I will probably change my mind and end up calling it fluffy. :roll:
Hmmm....fluffy...
Remote-Controlled Dave

Aw, not ANOTHER robot called Fluffy! Fluffy and Scarab are about the most used names for robots ever! :lol:
Call it Beelzebot. Or Satan. I quite like Satan.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
PBx

Post by PBx »

You could keep the ant and make it Satant :)
Team - Yr Morgrug
The joy is the journey
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

OK.
Change of direction.
I will be going down a cheese based road now. :roll:
Remote-Controlled Dave

Cheese-based :o
OK! Funnilu enough, I had a cheese robot once that I spent a long time trying to come up with cheese-based puns for the name of it. It was very nearly called Cheeses of Nazareth but ended up as Botmakiri.
Anyway, call it Welsh Rarebot!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39