Team Shock's Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

teamocean

Team Shock's Build Diary

Post by teamocean »

Thought it was about time that we had our own build diary for our ants as we have quite a few of them.

I'll kick off with a bit of a summary of how things have gone this year and plans for the winter break.

Quake:
Still running as well as ever after making the last 2 AWS finals- lost both of them but a small mod to stop it getting stuck should help for the future. Can't seem to break it either as this version of Quake has been unmodified for the last 18 months.

Inertia 2:
This year saw the introduction of Inertia 2 at AWS 34- the disc seemed to work really well and won the AWS- had some bad luck at the last couple of events with bits getting stuck in the disc and stopping it- needs a new brushless too as the current one sounds very rough. Once thats changed it will be good to go again.

Inertia 3:
Built Inertia 3 for AWS 36 and mostly worked well with the new chassis design and scoop proving very effective. Needs some slightly larger wheels though as it did get stuck once or twice.

Tempest 2:
Entered AWS35 and had 2 fights- the second one against Complexity wrecked the drive and the brushless. I plan to rebuild it as an eggbeater soon reusing the titanium sides as they seemed to stand up very well.

Ant Awe 6:
Finally retired after an encounter with Variant at AWS 34

Tesla:
Still going strong after winning the fleas at AWS35 and coming second at AWS 36- not bad for a robot built in 30 mins!

Recoil:
Going to change the drive round a bit and make a new shell for it- needs some work doing to make it self right.

2012 will also see some new ants coming including

Inertia's 4 & 5:
Slightly different designs to 2 & 3 but with the same disc setup so expect them to be just as evil :evil:

Inertia XS
The fleaweight version of Inertia- was meant to be at AWS36 but is still a pile of parts on my desk.

There may also be one or two others coming along but we will have to wait and see :)
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
teamocean

Re: Team Shock's Build Diary

Post by teamocean »

Right, been a while since I updated this but a fair bit has happened since.

As mentioned in the fleaweight thread, I am currently building Inertia's XS1 and XS2 which are on track for AWS 37. At least one if not both should have 3D printed shells by then.

Decided today to start on Inertia 4- undecided yet whether to use the drive and disc out of Inertia 2 or to build a completely separate ant- would mean getting some more discs cut and I'm not sure that I will have enough time before the event- I'll see what I can do though.

I'm also tempted to put a drum spinner back together as I still have the old Tempest chassis and drum- needs new insides though
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Update time

Decided to retire Inertia 2 and replace it with Inertia 4.

Some of you may recognise the chassis as Accident Blackspot which I built for Dave and have recently got back- need a new brushless to replace the damaged one but everything else is ready to be transplanted in.

Hopefully this should solve the problem of getting stuck upside down if the disc stops and should be pretty solid as it has a shell milled from a solid block of 20mm HDPE as on Inertia 3.

Here's the chassis with 2 and 3

Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
haz

Post by haz »

awesome :P
how do you get your robots so neat?
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Because he's really good at building! lol.

Its alright guys, I'll be at the next AWS to knock them out again with a robot made of tape :P
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
haz

Post by haz »

i wonder will we get to hear "i caused damage!!" again :)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Hey, the Inertia 3 vs Morbo fight, Will has had to repair Inertia 3 a fair bit, whereas Morbo is still fine. Apparently, I hurt it a fair bit! We will be having a grudge match at the end of the next AWS. He may tear me apart this time, haha.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

I spent today putting Inertia 3 back together so it's ready for the rematch :)

Had to remount the brushless, fit a new switch as the old one fell apart and sort out the drive motors- all fixed now :)

Inertia 4 is nearly good to go- need to order a new brushless for it but should be done in plenty of time for the AWS.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Lol, I bet the rematch is really disappointing now we've talked it up.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Got Inertia 4 working today- seems to work quite well and the disc seems just as good as before with the new brushless fitted.

Quick video of it being tested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfZXjLPL ... ata_player
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk