All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Team Invade

Re: Invadants

Post by Team Invade »

Wiring done
Linkage fitted
Armour and stripes added

Finished! This is by far the best antweight I've ever made. The new linkage mechanism seems to be much more efficient than the old system, and coupled with the power of the HPXF it works really well. It gave Gust a full 360 degree flip and flips both Gust and Flame over 80mm high walls in a single flip, so shouldn't struggle with the standard 50mm walls. The linkage took a bit of experimentation to get to work but I'm glad with how it's turned out, I don't think I've seen many other ants get this much power out of a servo. The only drawback of this is that (along with the feather and heavy), coupled with the heavier 1mm titanium flipper, it often flips itself onto it's back when it misses a flip. I think this might also be due to the new lipos, the old lipos went "puffy" so we used a new set of 160mah Turnigy Nano-Techs which work really well. Overall I'm really pleased with it, it's just as tough as the old version but is more powerful and is just as tough, and now 16g underweight! It'll have it's first proper test run at Swansea so I'll see if that weight ends up being used for improvements.
Website | YouTube | Photobucket | Build Diary

Featherweight UK Champion
Heavyweight Robot Wars Champion

Heavyweight Tag Team Champion
Featherweight Tag Team Champion
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Looks like a proper robot,pretty tough!very nice job!
Those nanotech cells-R-very good. :)
Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

At the AWS I'll be running two ants and a flea off a DX5e and two ants and a flea off a DX6i. Just to check, is there any chance of robots within the same team being drawn up against each other?

Also, I've noticed that GiantShark have been out of stock of sg90 servos for over a week now, along with many other products. Has anyone got any idea how long it normally takes for them to restock?

EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

We'll do our utmost during the draw to ensure robots from the same team won't be drawn against each other early on. However, I can't guarantee that you won't meet later on in the competition if multiple of your robots do well :P.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

EpicentrE wrote:We'll do our utmost during the draw to ensure robots from the same team won't be drawn against each other early on. However, I can't guarantee that you won't meet later on in the competition if multiple of your robots do well :P.
OK thanks, that's what I thought. I'll just have to remember to bring a bind plug in case of any clashes.

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

It rarely happens that you're drawn up against yourself. Only really happens if you have 3 or 4 robots and they all do well in the competition. If you are drawn against yourself in these circumstances, you don't even have to fight, you can just choose which one you want to advance if you want. Of course, if you want to fight them, that's possible too, but its not essential, you are allowed to just pick the winner without doing battle.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The AWS is run with the robots divided into 4 or 8 groups, double elimination, with 2 from each group going into the last 8 or 16.
The draw is arranged so that no team has 2 robots in the same group. In this way, as Dave says, you are not going to meet yourself unless you have multiple robots doing very well at which point it becomes almost inevitable.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
thetopcat84

Post by thetopcat84 »

Team Invade wrote:Also, I've noticed that GiantShark have been out of stock of sg90 servos for over a week now, along with many other products. Has anyone got any idea how long it normally takes for them to restock?
I've got a few sg90s that I could send you if you need them quick?
Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

I can source them from other places if necessary, it's just that I need some other stuff from GiantShark as well so I was wondering if I should hold off before ordering, and we don't need anything urgently. Thanks anyway though :)

Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

Delivery!
Really impressed with the service. Ordered last Tuesday and had arrived by this morning.

And it's mostly accurate too. For some reason, the printing filled in some of the wheel hubs, but that's an easy fix. You may also notice the flea chassis is bending due to very thin support bars but the HDPE will hold it in place once the armour is mounted.

Unfortunately, there's not much we can do yet. The motors and hobbyking order still haven't arrived, giantshark still haven't stocked up, and there isn't much you can do without the internal parts :(