Invadants

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

haz

Re: Team Invade Antweights

Post by haz »

sabertooth 5a but that is 20g on its own so for using a weapon aswell banebots seem to be the only option
Team Nuclear

Post by Team Nuclear »

4 servo boards?
Ben
The creator of... Laser, Evil Pig Sty and Striker
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The problem is slightly more complex than what can drive 4 motors as the motors are not all the same and it also depends on the battery voltage.
In the worst case the Pololu HP motors they are rated as a stall current of 1.6A and a voltage of 6V.
If you decide to run on 3 cells (12.6v) that stall current goes up to 3.36A so with 4 motors you are looking at 6.7A per controller channel.
Even on 2 cells (8.4v) the stall current is 2.24A so with 4 motors it is 4.48A per controller channel.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Stalling Ant motors is damn near impossible. Unless they are physically jammed with a claw/shrapnel (at which point you'd likely stop anyway) the motors would just slip on the surface rather than stall. Stalling all 4 motors at once would take some doing :P. Terrorizer was running a 5A Sabretooth on 11.1v, and I was running BH with Banebots on the save voltage with no issues (except 3-cell batteries that small are subject to the middle cell going bad :( )
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I know under normal conditions you don't stall a motor but as you say when they get jammed and people are asking if you are still running you normally try anything to get it moving well I do.
There are only two motors on each side so you only need to stall two which isn't difficult if they are connected together by tracks.
The smaller the batteries generally the higher the internal resistance of the battery and so that will tend to limit the current under high load conditions.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I think it'd be possible to run a 4WD bot on a Sabretooth 5A with a weapon and get it in weight, but there would be compromises (thin armour, or not a great weapon etc).
Have a look at Simon's new version of Dynamite. 2 of those little speed controllers seem to do a very good job and his 4WD platform is underweight enough to cram a weapon in too, he's just not going down that route.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Just bear in mind that you don't get mixing on board the robot with two speed controllers, you would need a mixer on the transmitter.
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

razerdave wrote: Terrorizer was running a 5A Sabertooth on 11.1v,
Speaking of which does anybody know whats happened to Jack Evans? he seemed to be really active and now i haven't seen him in ages, same with Alasdair

i ran the original 4WD Dead meat on a sabertooth 5a at 11.1v (lipo) it was really hard to get in weight but i never had any issues with stalling/blowing up ESC's. I did Jam a motor once but that was more a barrage of Baby Hell and Combatant than anything else :P
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
haz

Post by haz »

alistair was at pontefract
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Alasdair's been to the last few events, it's a good point about Jack though...after hosting an AWS he seems to have vanished off the radar? : S
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"