Team Shakey Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Re: Team Shakey Build Diary

Post by Shakey »

The heavy is still progressing nicely, the drive is now done! It's running on my feathers escs for now until the actual one arrives (N2HV will do fine right rory? :P ). The bosches have been battle hardened and the pinions welded. Also gave it a bit of paint just to spruce it up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1yNrdb ... e=youtu.be
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

*commenting like a typical Robot Wars poster*

Looks like Apocalypse.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Tashic

Post by Tashic »

No Dave, a typical Robot Wars poster is:
"That's a razzor rip-off!!"
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

BOOOOO!

I've started mounting the ram into the base, the slight slant lets me get in a good bit of extra throw, it is supported on a hardox structure that bolts to the bulkhead.

Shakey

Post by Shakey »

I thought I'd share my latest ant as it's been a bit quiet here.

I'm about halfway through the CAD so I'll keep you updated on that. The basic Idea is ICBINS with an EDF, I think it would be great to show EDFs don't equal not having a weapon. It's a standard 35mm EDF that I'll make a bit more low profile to aid invertability. The battery is on the smaller side at 300mah but considering my usual fight time it should be more than enough even at full tilt! It is using the same flipper as ICBINS just worked around the fan to not interrupt the airflow. The drive will be the nylon geared drive type I showed off a while back along with 2 HP motors since that had very good torque transmission and very little loss and none of the jamming hexa-chopper suffered from while being very light weight. I might experiment with tiny timing belts aswell as that would simplify the build further.

The components actually leave me a good amount of weight with which to make the chassis, I'll be experimenting with my Nylon printing aswell so it should be far stronger than even my ABS chassis for the same amount of weight. Ali armour as on ICBINS, Stanley and TEST as that seems to work very nicely.

I also have a 65mm and a 40mm setup I might put in some bots just to see how different they are. In addition I'm combining one with a spinner to allow harder hits with a greatly lowered risk of flying out.

Hopefully this should encourage EDF bots to also have a weapon rather than a pusher.

AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Nice! Looks like it could be yet another formidable robot from you. :D
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

With the EDF talk and a chat with another roboteer about different EDF styles I remembered I had a design tucked away for FANley. Stanley with a 60mm fan built into the chassis, I'd held off on this design mainly due to size limits of a 60mm fan being wedged in a robot but these days the parts to do it are smaller so I'm going to get it going as a comparison with my other aforementioned EDF robot into the two styles. For now I'm just using some of the parts I have around to pretendobot but there is somehow room in the chassis to upgrade to a better battery and with a more suitable EDF motor. The weight is fine, even the old stanley with all it's hot glue and non weight saving chassis was drastically underweight without it's ballast. If really Needed I'll switch to the Nylon Geared drive I mentioned with my other EDF bot with some HP motors so retaining very good power levels. I'd drive the front wheels off the motors as they normally take more loading.

Pretendobotting with Stanley for scale.

CAD render of work so far:

The wheel dimensions are the same as Stanley but with a few tweaks that made ICBINS much more controllable. The low profile retains it's invertability so that if someone manages the unlikely act of flipping it I can position the bot to use the fan to right itself easily.

Shakey

Post by Shakey »

For the purposes of future people reading this build diary. The EDF's were a lie! A joke to poke some activity out
====================================================================================================================

So I don't have much progress on my own stuff as you guys have been keeping me very busy churning the printer to make your bots better! :D However I thought I'd post something to prompt me to sort a few of my own bots out.

Today was hobbyking christmas! I also reorganised my parts collection (and by re- I mean just organised it in the first place), I learnt some things:

I have a small stockpile of ant ESCs, but I do know know where the lemon RX's I bulk ordered went, I have enough to make another 4 or 5 ants so will be trying out some crazier designs.

and that I have hoarded a lot of nano weapon servos so expect a few nanos and fleas to be appearing soon as todays hobbyking order also bought with it a lot of servos which were promptly massacred into nano escs:

In all this nano drive business I did also work out how to greatly improve my lightweight gearboxes for use in ants and allow 2 cell so I should hopefully have some prototypes of that in a week or so and if it works out some fleas and ants to make use of it. For fleas I'm just going to start off with a mini ICBINS, not fully decided on the internals yet. I'm waiting to see how the new gearboxes turn out.

I have also gathered nearly all the parts for my pneumatic ant, just need to order some plastic tubing to make tanks and rams with and I can get started on it. The hardest part to get was fill valves, I thought about using ones from a bicycle tyre but found some nice ones on hobbyking that appealed to my engineering side. plus they come in bright blue :D
I have quite a few more parts to go and plan to use some of my nano flipper servo hoard to fire the valve. I'm going to start with a simple standard flipper but my aim would be to get a nice 4 bar one going.

Since I hadn't introduced him on the forums yet this is 'You should probably just leave' which came third at the last antfreeze (With ICBINS coming second, and Test Robot Please Ignore not far behind the two).
I essentially just took the CAD of ICBINS, chopped the front off, made it wider and wedgified it. It had some warping issues at first as the servo mount wasn't quite big enough causing the chassis to twist when it was placed in. This gave it some drive issues including a notable inability to reverse in a straight line, however this has now been fixed and I am going to increase the speed of the flip as it is a bit lacklustre compared to ICBINS but has more than enough power to spare. This robot has now fully replaced carbon, it has carbons electronics inside but I essentially removed every wire and replaced it ridding the bot of the electrical issues that had long plagued it. The result is a robot I am far happier with and still is able to have the fun constant flipping fights of carbon but has improvements to help it actually make use of that.

Test Robot Please Ignore is now in a test chassis (funnily enough) which made the robot wider and shorter greatly reducing gyro so it can fight better and improving its self righting. The spinner mounting has been beefed up EVEN MORE to try and stave off the series of bad idea induced deaths it has been suffering! Though many spinner demos in Daves beetle arena have left the spinner teeth worse for wear so I need to sort that out (or get my Gr5 Titanium cut).

ROFLSTOMPs current design is being binned and it is essentially being rebuilt hexachopper style but with only 4 wheels and retaining the back scoop. I reckon with my better knowledge of printing (hexachopper was an early home printed robot of mine) and more robust components I can actually pull it off this time. The disc on it is just too small to be effective as a horizontal hence the move back to vertical.

And last but certainly not least. I'm joining in with this beetle malarky.
Sam (came to the last antfreeze) gave me this chassis for an undercutter, with a scrounged hardox 500 blade from Lynx (another of Sams spinners after it was sold to Rory and rebuilt as First lefts) and a handful of extra components I hope it can shuffle around the arena long enough to smash something before being annihilated in the inevitable death by beetle spinner! I'm using ant drive motors for this because they are nice and cheap and I can isolate the wheel from the motors so any hits to the drive shouldn't result in them dying. It is running one of Rorys HV ESC's (slightly modified) and an afro 30A ESC for the spinner. A 300W motor with 1000maH 4S (~16V) LiPo should help spin the bar ~9000RPM using a timing belt to gear it down a tad. The back of it (where the battery is) will be getting a brick scoop so if I fight another spinner that has a longer reach then me I can maybe bludgeon them to a spinner failure with that! The two ant motors a side will be run in series, to reduce the effective voltage across each motor from 4S to 2S, though mechanically locked together to mitigate the weirdness of series motors in order to provide the torque needed at the speed needed to deliver big whirly bar into opponent. This robot will probably be called, "Are we the baddies?".

An update on the heavyweight:
Brandishing the fearsome name of 'An adorable Kitten' it has been terrorising... Not much really. I've still yet to plumb in the flipper after numerous setbacks mostly revolving around my CO2 tanks inability to hold CO2 which should now be solved. However I have been fighting it and the drive has been performing excellently, a few tweaks needed but I am thrilled with how it is doing. My job over christmas is to get the pneumatics working to a 'minimum' level so it can self right before I work on making a new CO2 ram for it to get the setup fully complete. Have a bonus picture of it clad in fur to confuse the spectators on a pit tour.
I am VERY tempted to make the fur permanent. A big thanks again to Peter whose donation of drive motors allowed me to use this chassis and have myself a nice heavy! To Will for putting up with my never ending torrent of questions and providing the ram and some very sorely needed spares. To Dave for supplying me with some lovely fire extinguishers. Maybe that Rory bloke too. (There are others but they don't read this forum).

Thanks for reading my post, have a train:

Ps I'm calling dibs on the name: "Don't hug me I'm scared!"

haz

Post by haz »

Nice to see my old undercutter frame getting some love. That bearing block was the first thing I made with my boring head. It's probably shockingly bad in hindsight.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Haz and his boring head.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39