Battle Antz

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Battle Antz

Post by peterwaller »

Is just me getting old and cranky or do other people feel using the name so similar to ours is likely to cause confusion. As far as I can see the weight limit is raised to 250 gms, the 4 inch cube is gone and apparently at Roaming Robot events they are allowed to compete in the antweight competition.
Shakey

Re: Battle Antz

Post by Shakey »

peterwaller wrote:Is just me getting old and cranky or do other people feel using the name so similar to ours is likely to cause confusion. As far as I can see the weight limit is raised to 250 gms, the 4 inch cube is gone and apparently at Roaming Robot events they are allowed to compete in the antweight competition.
Wait battleantz vs.antweights? That's a bit unfair isn't it? That extra 100grams makes a wholelot of difference to what you can do.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I've fought them at events and they're not actually too much competition for antweights, they're bordering on uncontrollably fast and Stewie, Jigsaw and Fast Dalek seem able enough to consistently outmanoeuvre and defeat the kits.

I do sort of agree about the potential for confusion though, particularly for newcomers who don't realise the distinction between RR events and others :-?
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Here is a link to the page and below the actual quote:
http://www.roamingrobots.co.uk/shop/index1.html
Not any longer... even though the Battle Antz weigh 250g, the standard kit is allowed to compete with our Ant Weights, as this is your chance to get involved. We are trying hard to encourage new roboteers, and this is our latest option.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

They could maybe be clearer that that applies only to RR events?

I do incidentally still take issue with the description of how much antweights cost ;P they can cost that much but TransparANT and Bulletproof have shown that it is very possible to do a competitive antweight for less than ?100 (and it'll be in weight and legal at far more events!).
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

The battleantz that we've let on our arena have not been competitive robots, the roboteers don't seem to know anything about their robots, how to charge etc, perhaps this will improve with time.

The fundamental problem is that heavyweight roboteers mostly know very little about robots, they regularly tell their audience that the best way to get into roboteering is featherweights (!)

I can only hope that some of these new battleantz roboteers will join us with proper antweights when they get into it.
widow_twanky

Post by widow_twanky »

Simon Windisch wrote:The battleantz that we've let on our arena have not been competitive robots, the roboteers don't seem to know anything about their robots, how to charge etc, perhaps this will improve with time.

The fundamental problem is that heavyweight roboteers mostly know very little about robots, they regularly tell their audience that the best way to get into roboteering is featherweights (!)

I can only hope that some of these new battleantz roboteers will join us with proper antweights when they get into it.
Maybe I come from a different perspective as we sort of see antweights as a bit of fun. Not because we don't enjoy them or think they shouldn't be taken seriously, just that we have to prioritise with events etc. We dropped the feathers for a while rather than antweights.

I don't really see where the problem is with the name of the kit. It's simply a way of getting people into the sport and calling them 'beginners' or 'novice' kits is not likely to attract people into it. I think it gets people into the arena with the ants. It allows you the opportunity to talk to people who are the more serious ones and it means that these guys are likely to have something that works first time out no matter how uncompetative they are. I have many failed attempts of modified servos in the drawer in the hall and to be honest it really is disheartning.

Even our ants found them quite easy to deal with even when I'm driving (and I had never driven one of ours properly before Barnsley).
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

I agree with you Andy, it's probably a positive thing, but Peter does have a point with the confusing choice of name.
widow_twanky

Post by widow_twanky »

Simon Windisch wrote:The fundamental problem is that heavyweight roboteers mostly know very little about robots
BTW I might take you to task on that one if i didn't think it was true :lol:
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Ah, you spotted the deliberate mistake!