'Robot Roulette'

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

razerdave

'Robot Roulette'

Post by razerdave »

Hey guys

I was having a bit of a think the other day of a new event/tournement we can do after the main AWS, I cam up with this:

Robot Roulette

Basically, everyone would enter 1 robot from their team (I'd want it full combat so spinners go in too), and the names go into the hat, I call up a random roboteer, they pick out a robot and they would drive it for the duration of the tournement. Then the person whose robot just got drawn gets to draw a robot for themselves, and so on and so forth, so we would get a complete mix up of robot types with driver types/styles, to see whats more important, a good robot or a roboteer that can drive well ?

It would also show how people will cope with robots they're not used to in design terms, for example, Andy Hibbard driving Deoderant, or Pete Collier driving Variant.

I was hoping to trial this at AWS 34 (once I've spoken to Dave L), but I wanted to see what people think about the idea and would they be willing to do it, and also, which robot would you LIKE to drive, and which wouldn't you want to drive (the latter is optional if you want to spare feelings :))

Opinions ?
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

sounds like a good idea, i'd definitely be willing to do it :) don't really mind what i'd like to drive but i wouldn't want to drive harrys new flea due to probable loss of the right servo half way into the fight.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I like this idea a lot as I've told you :) I don't know if there's any robots I particularly would or wouldn't want to drive, other than those I might break through incompetence...I'd be far more worried about which robots the machine I'd just turned over to someone with less fear would encounter, heh ;P
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
TheAntTrap

Post by TheAntTrap »

Just a idea that I had called: "Retired's Melee" where the retired, old robots can have a battle once again... If they are still functional however. Just thinking. :-?
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Its definatly an interesting idea; could be very interesting as you get to play with someone elses robot which may inspire creativity of your own. I would like to have a go with a servo drive robot, like the g'd ol' d'ys

My only concern is that the owner of the robot been driven may also be able to call cease if they don't want to see their robot being ripped apart.

And it may take a while to run, what are you thinking Dave single elimination?
TEAM GEEK!
haz

Post by haz »

whats not to like? i get to drive something fancy, and someone else has to drive mine. :D
btw where is aws34?
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

AWS 34 is in Reading, at the same venue the RRC is held.

I would do it as single elimination, and I guess the owner of the robot can call cease, but not really in the spirit of robot combat :P.
haz

Post by haz »

nice, i get sad if my robots dont get mashed up by a spinner :D
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

I would love that! Great fun.

It would probably be best for non-spinners.
haz

Post by haz »

one problem i can forsee is the fact that differeant people have differant driving styles, for example i find it realy hard to drive propperly, ie move stick forward, bot goes forward, i find it much easyer to drive on diagonals, where it may be the other way round for nearly everyone else. having said that it may make it more interesting :D