Pop!

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

josh

Re: Pop!

Post by josh »

thanks, hopefully it should be running to test at Brighton and refined for the aws.
there is 60g of aluminium in there but that includes the tanks, cylinder cap, tank cap, piston rod, and the single piece chassis/cylinder module.
The arm is in aluminium but is quite chunky so will probably be swapped out for nylon or polycarbonate.
There is a shell that goes on it to protect the shiny stuff but it's a lot more boring so I left it off for these.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
josh

Post by josh »

Prototype is here. as usual a million issues that need to be resolved, probably the main one being that I'm yet to turn down the pulleys so I can't fit on the wheels yet. this is the first normal sized robot I've ever made I think, it looks dwarfed in comparison to it's older generation. it measures 96mm wide, 94 long and 38 high. quite concerned about tank size but I think in reality if the first shot doesn't hit it will have done a backflip and be far too vulnerable. that's a 20mm bore ram, 22kg at the cylinder.
This may be even more compact than complexity and therefore I can see being a pain to solder.
I've also extended the wheel base by 0.4mm to tension the belts better.
more to come when the next parts are done.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

That is incredible Josh.
i look forward to seeing it. :)
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Looking forward to seeing how good the flipper is with such a big ram, MEV2 one flip wonder :)
How are you planning to make the tank?

Once again a little inspired to get anticide running again.
TEAM GEEK!
josh

Post by josh »

I think the ratio ram to tank is about 1:8 so even if it's completely efficient I may as well have had a servo by the third or fourth flip... the ram is 20x10. The tanks are machined from billet, it's a dual tube rather than the channel I was playing with before so it shouldn't warp hopefully.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
josh

Post by josh »

Next update: more parts from the printer and some further small design changes. Nothing too significant, changed where the battery sits to better distribute the weight. Turned down the pulleys to fit in the wheels and pressed the bearings. Changed the way the components are mounted to try and make it more symmetrical and I think that is all I've really changed. There has been a revision on the drawings to have the wheelbase 0.4mm longer in the aluminium to tension the belts better.

Note the check valve burried between the tank and motor.
I've also built a boring robot with a huge 500mah lipo squeezed in to run all day at brighton model world. The robot is I believe 95x90x20mm. There was an issue with the printing that has ended up with solid wheels, so I need those reprinting.
And I've also strengthened the design for complexity's chassis which isn't very obvious but the last incarnation cracked to leave the brushless module almost loose in the frame...

Now for a mammoth soldering session and awaiting of cnc parts to finish. I also have several parts I need to machine by hand to go into the pneumatic system.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Nice use of space for the battery on pop.

Where are you getting your wheels from and how big are they?
TEAM GEEK!
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Blimey Josh.
Brilliant stuff.Wiring that thing should be fun!! :o
josh

Post by josh »

The wheels are printed hubs with Scalextric tyres. The ones on pop are 16mm dia and the ones in the drive all day are 21mm I think they are shore 25a so they're nice and grippy. In pop I have softer tyres at the front to attempt to bias the steering further forwards, not sure how well, if at all, it will work but it's worth a try.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
josh

Post by josh »

Aluminium parts fresh out of the machine:
minus the tank cap that needs redoing.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com