Grippiest material for wheels?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Yeah, probably any pic of R of the O you've seen is fairly old as the new version hasn't fought yet. The new one does exactly what you have done now, I fitted the tyres straight over the solarbotics tyres. Before it was a bit hasty and the wheels were held on with some strong glue, which worked fine but wobbled a little bit. I admit it is somewhat heavy but the grip is somewhat overkill. In speedway at RRC it ended up climbing up the walls and getting stuck. :D
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

bitternboy wrote:In speedway at RRC it ended up climbing up the walls and getting stuck. :D
Sweet :D I'll find a way to make everything work (I need to), cause I need 19 grams of spare weight for my flipper servo.... Grazie mille :)
Andrea
shakesc

Post by shakesc »

I like the sound of fitting lego tyres to the aluminium hubs

Also found these wheels available in various diameters and shore rating

http://banebots.com/c/WHB

Wonder if those tyres could fit other hubs
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

I used rubber bands at first, but that was rubbish so i moved onto dycem (which was slightly better) now i use the blue material you get off lint rollers and bolt that to my wheels.

However if your not a skip diver like me you can easily buy stock wheels/tyre combo's, modified lego wheels have been used on many robots over the years (antisocial ant, dynamite, dead meat, etc...). there are also various wheels on model websites such as technobots.com and robotmarketplace that are really good (if a bit pricy). I personaly would suggest you just played around with several types of tread and then if your still not 100% happy move onto stock wheels, but thats just me :P

Also, i cant speak for the other E.O's (event organizers) but the RFRC arena is made of wood coated in several coats of silver emulsion, which isnt too bad traction wise, its the screws/spikes/obsticals you want to look out for!

Jack
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
shakesc

Post by shakesc »

the one thing I noticed at the last AWS was that the really grippy wheels seemed to collect a lot of dust.
I'm assuming that , like a lint roller, there is a danger of the stickyness going off because of this
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left
Gizz

Post by Gizz »

How would it be to use lets say o-ring or whatever those rings are called which are used to keep air / water connections tight?
The black rubber ones, if you machine a small notch in a thicker wheel?
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I did that with Little Yellow Taxi, the grip really wasn't good as the O rings weren't soft enough but having lots of them and possibly treating them in some way might have better results.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

shakesc wrote:the one thing I noticed at the last AWS was that the really grippy wheels seemed to collect a lot of dust.
I'm assuming that , like a lint roller, there is a danger of the stickyness going off because of this
That's the problem I had with the aluminium Solarbotic wheels, they were very grippy at first, but then the dust made its presence felt. I tried the Lego wheels and they work really good, but I think the Pololu wheels work even better as they never really lost their grip. Now I kinda want to try the Lite Flite wheels, they seem to be pretty good, but before that, I'm gonna have a go with the Tamiya tracks :P
Andrea
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

I am sure that in slot car racing they use a sticky compound to coat the tyres before each race??? Is something like that legal in the rules??

Would something like this be any good?
"Grip Liquid for tyres 50ml (MB19063) MB Slot oil for tyres, softens the tyres for extra grip & better performance. (MB19063)"
http://www.getslotted.co.uk/Prod_MB19063.htm
andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

I never raced with slot cars but have raced in 1/24th scale (Mini-Z) and I can guarantee that the softer kind of tyres (10?) wouldn't need that grip liquid, as they would be more than enough grippy for antweights. If that's legal in the rules should be worth trying it anyway :P
Andrea