Lego to servos...

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Zog

Lego to servos...

Post by Zog »

Hello all,

So i was wondering what would be the best way to secure a lego wheel to a servo and a lego 1x8 brick with the technic holes in to a servo? I have widened the holes so then they fit, the only problem is, they don't stay on! How can I secure them on so then they don't come off in battle?

George
Apollo. A robot in the making. (Dramatic Music)
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

The simple answer is glue or bolts :P if you drill through the wheel and a servo horn and bolt the two together in at least two places, you should have a pretty secure connection - failing that, just do whatever you were doing before but use epoxy to hold the wheel in place.

Attaching a lego brick is trickier but you may be able to use some big washers to bolt it through the holes to a servo horn - Dave Lawrie might be able to advise as he's worked with lego more than I have.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Paddonjon

Post by Paddonjon »

i have tried this, and what i did was to get the X bar thing and drill a hole in the center to push the bar of your motor into then glue it, that way you can put any lego wheel on :D
Zog

Post by Zog »

Ok, I've used Loctite now to glue it on.

Next question: How do I get the wheel motors to work on one channel? (at the moment they only turn left/right, and not forward/reverse...)

My transmitter has reversing for all channels, and mixing for channels 1/2 and 2/4.

George
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Try enabling mixing on whichever channels you use for drive, and then if it's still a bit strange play with servo reversing or switching the channels you have the servos plugged into until you get something that works?
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Zog

Post by Zog »

If it's any help, the transmitter is the Hitec Laser 4.

Underneath the mixing switch, it has: "V-Tail" on the left, "Off" in the middle, and "Elevon" on the right.

It actually has reverse on 4 of the 5 channels.

I have servos in channels 1, 2 and 4.

Channels 1 and 2 are the main drive motors, and channel 4 is the weapon motor (which works a treat, dw)

George
Zog

Post by Zog »

I've got it working now :)

It's a bit slow, but it works. And it has a great flipper.

Weight: 301g.

I know it's overweight, but isn't everyone's first ant?

George
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

...301g?!

What on earth did you build it out of?
Zog

Post by Zog »

1mm poly. THe flipping arm is made of lego.

The battery is quite heavy... Problem is, I don't know how to replace it... Any tips?
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

It depends what battery you have at the moment :P the obvious solution would be to move to a smaller NiMh pack or even LiPos with a regulator, but I suspect if your robot weighs 300g the battery can't be at fault for all that weight unless you've got a small lead acid battery inside there.