Would this be a good antweight?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Now that is important! Thanks for that, I didn't know about that one before. Also I would love to see it pulled off aswell!

Until I can get enough weight saving to fit proper armour on it will probably be running in the non spinner combat.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

I decided I will cut down to either just four motors (pushbot), or two motors and a servo (flipper). This saves me enough to armour the thing in aluminium, 1mm front (and back on pushbot) and 0.5mm on the rest.

What do you think and how will the aluminium stand up to spinners?

This should let me take part in the actual fight not just the warm up.

All I need now is a voltage regulator to run the servo setup while i have everything for the four wheel drive push bot.

joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I don't think the ali would stand up too well to spinners, particularly if they had exposed edges to grab on to - personally I'd use titanium or thick polycarb/polypropylene for a machine designed to be spinnerproof.

The design theory sounds fine though, you've basically encompassed about half the ants currently competing in one go there :P
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Aluminium could actually be fine. R of the O's chassis is made from 1.5 aluminium and it recieved a bashing from militant in RRC20. The shovel (1mm alu) did have a large gash in it but the chassis hadn't any marks at all worth speaking of though. Plus its cheaper and if you make the most vulnerable part of the robot from 1.5 (such as the shovel or wheel guards) you could make it as spinner-proof as they come (as long as everything was attached securely). :D
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

I don't have 1.5 but I reckon having a 0.5mm plate and a 1mm plate layered should perform the same (or even better) as the 0.5 mm plate takes alot of the enrgy before the 1mm keeps it safe. But I am no expert on these matters...

I'll have a lookout for 1.5 anyway.

bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I could lend you some, I've got plenty. But they may be offcuts so no larger than about 3 inches square. :)
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

I would probably only need to armour the 'likely to face spinners' side of the robot in the 1.5mm so the 3"should be enough.

Are you going to AWS 32?

bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Unfortunately not, I live down south; Its a bit far. :-?
Jonathan Atkinson
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I should have given it to someone who was going to AWS32 yesterday so they could take it with them to it. :-?.
Jonathan Atkinson
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Is there anyway I could post it to you, you're not that far away.
Jonathan Atkinson